116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let us know model and mileage:) its depressing hearing about all the failures
lets hear it for the good ones.

gus.

·
Banned
5,073 Posts
I had done 20,000 in my ZR when I sold it at 19 months old and it was still ok - I was well impressed.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Had a Metro GTa 8v and a GTi 16v, both hammered to hell and back with no probs, as well as a wedge 214 SEi. Mind you, just about everything else went wrong with the wedge!

·
Registered
mg_zr
29 Posts
Rover 214Si 140k Miles. Never a problem

Now MG ZR 105+ 19k also not a problem and hope to keep it that way.

My advice, Love your cars. Check your coolant at least once a week and remeber if you loose coolant it could easily relate to a Rad or pipe connections, dont just scream head gasket =P

·
Registered
44 Posts
rover 25
2002 46,000 miles
only had it just over a monthish done about 500 miles
BUT it had gone before i got the motor so im just gunna look after it hoping i will be okay

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
both my old ones

R214 si ( P reg )

had from 60k to 70k( i think ) & no hgf ,
my mate owns it now on 90k still no HGF :p

R25 (105 ) Y reg
owned from 33k to 48k no HGF :)

its not that expensive to fix anyway , lol I just had it done on my ZS & its only £350 & you can get the cambelt done at the same time :p, take it as a service ( hehe ) ( replaced with the uprated gasket & you ll be fine, )

·
Registered
264 Posts
Isn't it just the 1.8 that suffers this problem as the TF seems to have a massive problem with it, I think the cooling must play a big part on the TF.

...just for the record my 2005 mk2 ZR is at 16k and no HGF! YAY!

I have a friend with a 20 year old volvo on 260k miles and no HGF too! :eek:mg2: ..... says it is just getting bedded in! ha! Those pesky volvo drivers!

·
Registered
mg_zr
21 Posts
MKII ZR approaching 25K

25 approaching 50K

All the usual MGR niggles with superb 'major' mechanical part reliabilty...you all know what I mean!!

An avid long-term lurker of .org....(had to post on this one and thin out the bad press).

·
Registered
264 Posts
MKII ZR approaching 25K

25 approaching 50K

All the usual MGR niggles with superb 'major' mechanical part reliabilty...you all know what I mean!!

An avid long-term lurker of .org....(had to post on this one and thin out the bad press).
Have you had any issues with it salsh? Should I expect anything in my next 10k, it's not due another service till 30k. In the last service at 15k before I bought it, it had one of the wheel bearings replaces, I reckon this is down to the dunlop sp9000s and the hard ride. Wondered if the other bearings have chance to go the same way.

Are you running a 105?

·
Registered
mg_zr
21 Posts
Issues, yes!

She is a MKII 105+ x-power, driver door lock failed after 17K (repaired / modified by myself) - - cheap dead lock mech pin fails very easily.

Just replaced front badge - - laminate peels on ALL MG badges!! sadly :(

Boot was spilling water through the winter for fun!! Design 'feature' of the rear lights and boot ''air hole'' - the one that prevents the window blowing out - all in all three leaks (two lights) and a tiny weld gap in a panel!!!

Just serviced the breaks now comming up to 25K, alot of motorway miles. I have the sp9000 tires, love thier profile look and performance, but they are not the hardest of tires to wear down! Grip is supurb in all conditions, and the Dunlop's are worth every penny.

Love my ZR, service her all myself and very regular with only high quality oils / filters / pads / others - -scratches and stone chips break my heart!

·
Registered
304 Posts
N-reg 214 SLi K16 77k

S-reg 214 i K8 48k

Although a few other probs have arisen and watch if they both don't go now!

·
Registered
21 Posts
1998 200vi 39k no problem. driven by the wife rarely above 4000 rpm.

2 causes of HGF

1) not allowing engine to warm up before thrashing, if its thrashed from cold it heats very quickly, thermostat opens to give cold water = thermal shock = hgf. Just warm it up first (main cause of trouble on the freelanders cos they are so damn heavy, people thrashed the engines from cold)

2) constant high revs - Head fidgets a bit, shears the locating pin = HGF

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
MK II ZR 105+ Starlight silver got it new Nov 06 on 56 plate was one of the very last. Done 7.5K now changed the oil myself at 6K have replaced the front badge as they do delaminate. Agree with Salsh stone chips are a menace. My previous car was a 25 till someone wrote it off. 55K no probs at all an 01 reg. My wifes though is an 01 25 1.4 I think HG is going slowly. New cambelt and waterpump fitted a month ago but it loses coolant. Not a sign of the usual HGF symptoms. No mayo no mix oil water had a head check at the garage no signs of anything. Totally confusing. The head check supposed to check for gases in coolant but showed nothing. I think it may be crossing from water to oil side but evaporating off as it is slow to lose.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Nothing from me here :) Had the 25 from 6000 miles, it does 300 miles + a week and aside form using a little coolant every other month, never misses a beat. Now reading 39876 on the odometer :) It's a 52 plate 1.4 105.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts