MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trusty ZT190 is coming to the end of its warranty period, so the way becomes clear for some tinkering. Has anyone out there had any real-world experience of mooding their ZT190, and what sort of performance increase did you get? I'm not interested in cosmetic-only mods (including changing the engine sound), I need horsepower!

A quick webtrawl implied that merely by bolting on a Pipercross Viper I'd get 10bhp; superchips reckon another 8 or so etc. etc. Is it really just a case of adding up the increases and getting a ZT210? somehow I think not........

·
Registered
mg_zt
3,335 Posts
MG-Xpower exhaust as well.... ;) Kent Cams or is it Piper to get a fast road Cam kit, this is rather expensive though....
Failing that get in touch with Sprintex Australia to see about the Supercharger kit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nick190 said:
My trusty ZT190 is coming to the end of its warranty period, so the way becomes clear for some tinkering. Has anyone out there had any real-world experience of mooding their ZT190, and what sort of performance increase did you get? I'm not interested in cosmetic-only mods (including changing the engine sound), I need horsepower!

A quick webtrawl implied that merely by bolting on a Pipercross Viper I'd get 10bhp; superchips reckon another 8 or so etc. etc. Is it really just a case of adding up the increases and getting a ZT210? somehow I think not........
Sell it and buy something quicker. But, if you have to keep it, RSM does what it calls a stage 1 conversion, comprising zorst, filter and chip. It totally transforms the car and gives it loads of mid range power and about 205bhp (not PSI). Beyond that I wouldn't bother atm

·
Registered
mg_zt
3,335 Posts
Donegali said:
Sell it and buy something quicker. But, if you have to keep it, RSM does what it calls a stage 1 conversion, comprising zorst, filter and chip. It totally transforms the car and gives it loads of mid range power and about 205bhp (not PSI). Beyond that I wouldn't bother atm
Whaddya mean something quicker?
The ZT is one of the fastest cross country car's I've ever driven and certainly the most rewarding....

·
Registered
45 Posts
JCBZT160+ said:
Whaddya mean something quicker?
The ZT is one of the fastest cross country car's I've ever driven and certainly the most rewarding....
Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my ZT, the V6, the handling, looks, all of it, it's why I bought it. However, I just personally feel it is too under powered.

·
Registered
mg_zt
3,335 Posts
Donegali said:
Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my ZT, the V6, the handling, looks, all of it, it's why I bought it. However, I just personally feel it is too under powered.
Ah ok... Well go get the V8 then... ;) But you have to remember that the FWD ZT weighs 1700Kg's.... So they are no lightweights....

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree it's underpowered - hence my thread. I considered something faster, but given the state of MGR trade-in values, that may not be possible.

·
Registered
702 Posts
George you trying to corner the market on these or what :p

go on strap on a few bottle of NOS and a T3 and stick Clarkson in the seat :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
RSM said:
We have recently done a 190 with our stage one and that ended up pushing out [email protected] George
Hope you're not talking about mine, because you told me it got 202bhp at the flywheel!

Nick190 said:
I considered something faster, but given the state of MGR trade-in values, that may not be possible.
You're quite right, thats why I still have mine. I even spent a fortune trying to get the bhp figure up and with new cams got less power than with the stage 1. I'm now looking at a 1.8T conversion just so I can start liking my beastie once again.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Donegali said:
Hope you're not talking about mine, because you told me it got 202bhp at the flywheel!

Nope Jon, it was bloke C.Yours pushed out 209bhp on these rollers,however,we do know that your car is suffering the dreaded plenum problem again.I hope to see over [email protected] with the modded plenum.

George

·
Registered
mg_zt
3,335 Posts
RSM said:
Donegali said:

Nope Jon, it was bloke C.Yours pushed out 209bhp on these rollers,however,we do know that your car is suffering the dreaded plenum problem again.I hope to see over [email protected] with the modded plenum.

George
George,

What plenum problem?

Cheers

·
Registered
555 Posts
The KV6 in 160/180/190 variants all suffer at one point by the plenum saga.The signs are the following :

1) rattling from top of engine
2)varying performance from day to day
3)no pwer from below 3000rpm
4)bad fuel consumption
5)idle fluctuation

These are a few of the symptoms.Every car that i have rolling roaded with the above has show a power loss of at least [email protected] power.

The whole unit to replace costs £600.00 so if its under warranty still,get down to ya dealer and get it replaced if you feel its failed.

I can be contacted to discuss this in further detail.

George

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RSM said:
The KV6 in 160/180/190 variants all suffer at one point by the plenum saga.The signs are the following :

4)bad fuel consumption
5)idle fluctuation

These are a few of the symptoms.Every car that i have rolling roaded with the above has show a power loss of at least [email protected] power.

The whole unit to replace costs £600.00 so if its under warranty still,get down to ya dealer and get it replaced if you feel its failed.

George
You've got me worried now..... :eek: I think I suffer from all of the above, apart from the varying performance; the rest I thought were just characteristics of the car. I notice a definite VTEC effect at about 3500 revs, when the car just takes off, I average 25mpg on my daily commute (mostly motorway driving), and this morning I noticed a tapping that goes away at idle. Do I have a problem?
But the big question is: How do you convince the dealer there is a problem, and not get fobbed off with either "they all do that" or "no fault found"?

·
Registered
mg_zt
3,335 Posts
RSM said:

4)bad fuel consumption
5)idle fluctuation

George
Ah bugger, I have point 2, but I normally only have it when I'm driving in a spirited fashion....
Warrenty runs out in Feb, maybe I ought to get it looked at asap....

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,772 Posts
Blimy £600 for an inlet manifold, even if its a bit fancy with variable valves, and intake lengths, thats a very expensive manifold. Could you get a set of ITB's sorted out for not much more than this? I bet ITB's on even a std KV6 would given the problems that many of these cars seem to have, give a big impressive gain in performance!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Then the cost of the Pro8 to run them and the set-up, would work very well but at a much higher cost than the OE inlet.

Jon, had no idea you were looking at the 1.8T angle, big swing wow, will be watching this with a keen eye.

180 Boy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Guys,

The warranty on my ZT 180 sports auto is nearly up too so I am thinking of "chipping".

Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has chipped the V6.

My objective is for more mid range torque for better overtaking as the ole ZT prefers 4000 + revs b4 she really takes off which then means heavier fuel consumption!

I have just been reading another thread where someone has chipped a ZT turbo diesel which respond well to a chip but wondered whether the V6 responds well enough. The Superchip website quotes about £300 to chip but would be interested in knowing results begore I take the plunge.

If anyone else has any ideas to improve torque other than chips I would be interested.

Ta.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts