MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live near Sunderland and just bought an freestyle MGF. I need a few things doing like flushing the coolant while checking the HG. There is oil in the coolant resevoir but not in the oil or dipstick, no water from the exhaust but better safe than sorry eh. Also refurbish the alloys.

·
Registered
499 Posts
SG Petch in Durham City

Priory in Westerhope, Newcastle

Mill Garages Sunderland (look under their Volvo franchise)

Lion, Bedlington

·
Registered
888 Posts
I had the job done two weeks ago at Rovetec in Stockton, they struck me as being extremely professional, they knew all about the car, and gave an excellent service.

I had the waterpump changed as a precaution and they even kept the old one to show me without been asked. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmmm, In need of a reputable mechanic,

They all seem to be main dealers with what i expect to be main dealer prices.

Any Prices?

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Lion garages are reasonable on price, but you can't expect them to charge backstreet prices. It cost me £80 for an error codes check and reset, map download and stepper motor reset.

£30ish for an MOT

·
Registered
47 Posts
True,

I just don't want to pay £800+ for what everyone here is telling me should cost around £600 i have found hi-performance in sunderland who will do the job plus all the nice performance tweaks, timing belts etc, for between 600 and 700 quid inc vat.

Does that sound reasonable. The garage it is at the moment has told me i need a new engine, but i have subsequently found out all they did was put some more water in and turn it over, listen to the engine. they did not even take the head off. How can they make that assumption without even looking inside?

Get more of a feeling he does not want to do it!!. How hard of a job is it?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Bank Top Garage in Byker is very good. Gerry there knows his F's - or so it seemed to me when I put my old F in for a service, new radiator and timing belt. All came to 300 odd pounds.

He is MGOC approved and you get an MG OC stamp in the service book.

He's down Stepney Bank near the stables. Not the best part of town but if you look at the other motors he has there, you can see he's a pretty professional operator.

Just wish I'd not sold my F a week after the big service...Still the new one is nice!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmm, Byker may be a bit far for my car.

She sounds like an old woman with a smokers cough. probably rides like one as well. :)

But thanks anyway

1 - 14 of 14 Posts