MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

Just had the car in for MOT.......

Basically failed on emissions.....its had 2 cats in the last 2 years!

and this year its FAILED again on emissions!

Lamda sensor has been checked and all is fine....the garage is suspecting it could be the ECU at fault!

How would i go about replacing the ECU? Is it pop old one out and pop new one in...

its a Rover 416si Saloon p reg 1997 model......I could probably get one from a scrappy or off ebay or so......

Anyone any other ideas at all? theres not much to cats and emissions really, either the Lamda, Cat or the ECU giving the wrong mixutre!

any help apprecaited!

Rich

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
post the results up.

whats your mpg like?

there are lots of sensors that can alter fuelling.

I would look next at the coolant temp sensor.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
a second hand ecu has to be bought with the alarm ecu to go with it, plus the key fobs ...costly !!!!..........or have the new one reproged to your old alarm by a rover dealer ..even more costly.

like said above, have a look at the coolant temp sensor

plus, clean ecu plug, both plug and socket with contact cleaner .

whilst you're at it, go around and clean all the other sensor plugs ..

all the best..mark

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
start with the cheapest options first! :lol:

definite good idea!

what do people use as a contact cleaner to spray in all the plugs???

wheres the coolant sensor located???

im not using any more fuel than lately i don't think or over the past 2 years..... weird really...

its got the latest land rover head gasket kit on tho......

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well you may be using twice as much as you should if the CTS is finished.

presume something like this is good enuff..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILVERHOOK-SP...oryZ4660QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I have had the new cat put on and the car has passed the MOT but presume next year the same thing will happen unless i try and sort this! :(

Where is the coolant temp sender located? k series engine.......1.6.....
where is best to get a new one? easily changeable on the drive with no hassle?

Rich

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
yeah, thats fine. your cat's could be ruined because of over fuelling. I'l try and find a picture of the location on a K series when I get home. they are about £10 and are changeable at side of road.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, thats fine. your cat's could be ruined because of over fuelling. I'l try and find a picture of the location on a K series when I get home. they are about £10 and are changeable at side of road.

OH MY GOD!!! an Easy chgeable job on a car!

it can't be possible!

Brillaint a picture would be great....

any idea on part number or grab one off ebay?? or direct from MG i suppose????? or uniparts or something! :)

Cheers

Rich

ps - thanks guys for the help, i reckon at 115,000 miles it probably is this sender thats the fault! I also occasionally have cold start problems....it is VERY lumpy every now and again.....

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
if your head gasket has gone in the past ......that's the lambda and the cat number one up the swanney..if you drove around with it like that.

its the two wire one !

all the best.mark

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just checked with local motor factors part co and have 1 coolant temp sender....in stock...

its brown in colour and has 2 pin electrical connection!

£9.20...

sound right?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cheers guys you have been really helpful!

a picture would be great to finish it off..

i think i know where it is...presume with engine cold its a case of unscrewing the old one and screwing in new one, may just loose a tiny bit of coolant but probably not much!

Ace :)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
its at the back of the coolant elbow, side of the block.

yeah, do it when cold, replace, top coolant up, bleed, top up coolant as needed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no way of testing that this will solve the constant CAT replacement issue tho until next year when the MOT happens again!

best to get sorted now...

its not the lamba as the garage tested the voltage across and all was fine...

head gasket was 2 years ago or so and now has the landrover kit on it and very pleased with it :D

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
just see if your MPG goes up. if not go to a different MOT test station and get them to do a test for you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts