MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My headlights are really suffering as they've become misty and milky and hardly letting any light through. (I read this is a common problem on older mgfs and upgrading the bulbs only increases the process of it ageing). Had some hairy moments driving back in the dark!

So am looking out for some second hand light units, however I hear some people have managed to colour code them similar to the trophy lights. Has anyone got any pics of some on a silver mgf maybe? Or any trophy lights? (In my opinion these look a bit 'harsh', I may be tempted to colour code some silver instead.) If someone could post a guide that would be ace to! :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Here you go...

Not sure about the look.... I think a Trophy front lip would make it way better (all IMHO of course)

Getting to the reflectors is really easy:
- remove front bumper (screws in de wheel arches and on top of the bumper (open bonnet) and a bolt behind the indicators (could be tricky to remove the indicators)).
- remove the screws on top of the headlight unit
- disconnect the wires
- get the light unit apart

After installing the units, it is necessary to have the lights professionally adjusted.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for that...

Hmm im not to sure about them are they the trophy lights or have they been colour coded silver, I can't really tell. I think I may just fit some standard ones again if find some with higher rated bulbs...

I do have the trophy front splitter I wonder if it would look any better ?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Just addes trophy lights to mine Fran, look really nice, but the colour is obviously totally different so not much help to you there I'm afraid (and I don't have any photo's yet anyway.

I now have a spare set of headlight innards and Rob Bell has had some re-chromed. We were looking to get a rolling exchange started so if you want to be the first in the queue PM me and we'll discuss the finer details. I don't think it's quite as good as getting new lights, but it's certainly quite a bit cheaper (i.e. getting them both done for around the same price as buying 1 new one).

Let me know if you're interested.

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow cheers guys. Thanks Phil, I might by some new ones to be honest and take it from their as I want to colour code them and want some that are in good nick like. (Not cloud or misty ones, but thanks for offerering though!!)

Wow they look really nice Darren do you spray them black yourself then? Was it hard to do? You have a lovely F, I must say you've tempted with the trophy look now on silver. Other think im considering is colour coding them silver but not found a pic of how they'd look. Loving your double splitter looks awesome mate! :)

·
Registered
mgf
622 Posts
I've had them both. First I though colorcoding them to suit my car (BRG) would look sweet but when I had them on the car it looked like I tried to make something part of "the curves of the car" which shouldn't be. It messed with the way the car supposed to look if you know what I mean.
Then I painted them glossy black and removed the "ribs" under the high beam. This really did it for me. It looks a little more argressive. And because it is glossy it looks great in sunlight because you get the "white spots" on them.
I also have a Throphy splitter added later. I think if you are not planning on getting a splitter you shouldn't paint the reflectors black. Keep them original chrome or go for black/shadow chrome finish instead.

(all IMHO)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks for the reply, I all ready have the trophy splitter and I think I gonna go for some trophy ones if I can get my hands on some! :) The pictures at the top donated by Darren B look sweeeet!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Cheers mate your making me blush :lol:

It will look even better next year when it has had a full repaint.

Now should i go tfor straight silver or shall i play with it and add a bit of red pearl to the mix :naughty: :bgrin: :dddc:

D

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Think I was the first F in the Uk to have a double splitter -then they all copied me
So you're the one who copied me :)
I do have the trophy front splitter I wonder if it would look any better ?
You see.... Darren's car looks really good. The trophy splitter makes it a completely new car. Well done.
Don't bother painting them silver, it won't make such a difference and would look more like the chrome has pasted away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts