MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please?

Money waiting?

I've got my new bits and bobs today, and it's boosting to 20 PSI now, but it's screwed all the way in, and one day I'd like 25 PSI with a hybrid!

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Bring it over and we'll see if we can make it boost any higher.
Remember that the boost is controlled by the fuelling too. without enough fuel it'll never reach high boost levels.
If you are very careful you can try disconnecting the wastegate actuator entirely and then see what boost you can get (obviously if is starts going higher than 23psi I'd back off the throttle immediately and you do it at your own risk!). If you still can't get any higher boost levels then you probably can't get enough fuel in there to spin the turbo fast enough to get the extra boost.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Please?

Money waiting?

I've got my new bits and bobs today, and it's boosting to 20 PSI now, but it's screwed all the way in, and one day I'd like 25 PSI with a hybrid!
frigger, i brought a boost controller from R-spec, Im trying to keep my boost under 21 psi, and thats with it at its loosest and im still getting boost cut, even with my wastegate at max as well!

I think I need a softer spring and you need a harder one, fancy a trade?

·
Registered
556 Posts
, even with my wastegate at max as well!
When you say max, do you mean set for high boost?

If so, there's your problem, set the wastegate back to standard or slightly below. Any boost controller can only control boost at levels over the setting of the wastegate.

For example - If the wastegate is set at 14psi, the controller at 20psi, you'll get 20psi. However, if the wastegate is set to 23psi, and the controller set to 20psi, you'll get 23psi.

·
Registered
161 Posts
lol, no i mean its all the way unscrewed!! I can open the wastegate with it attached with my finger!! and i'm still getting 1.4 bar!

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
lol, no i mean its all the way unscrewed!! I can open the wastegate with it attached with my finger!! and i'm still getting 1.4 bar!
Sounds like either it is broken or you've plumbed it in wrong. With the valve unscrewed all the way you should just get actuator pressure.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Its definatley plumbed in properly, I took it apart to see how it works, there is a ball bearing on a seat with a spring, not much room for hte bearing and the spring in the chamber, its a tight fit!! the design seems a bit stupid to me, i would have had a bearing in a long shaft, would have thought that would give much more control over boost.

The GBE Controllers, are the bearings in a shaft or on a seat? if theyre on a seat I wont bother changing, but if they have a shaft it will be much better than the crap I currently have.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
They are all on a seat, as that is how they work/seal. Try removing the ball and spring and see what happens. If you are still getting overboost then something isn't right somewhere in the plumbing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts