MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.........why my fuel pump might be screeching ? It sounds like a belt slipping but I don't see how it could be the pump belt cos it's toothed isn't it ? It's getting quite embarassing now, it's loud enough to make people turn their heads as I'm driving by.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Are you sure it is the fuel pump making the noise? Check the other belts and the PAS fluid level and then check the tensioner on the fuel pump and cam belts to see if it is breaking up/seized.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure it is coming from the fuel pump area cos it does it when its idling aswell, it's alot quieter but loud enough to hear when I listen closely. Can I check the tensioner without taking the belt off ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, ignore me :tic: I took the cover off the pump belt & sprayed some silicon behind the pulleys & that noise went away, then I got the wife to rev the engine while I stuck my head over the engine bay ( :eek:mg2: ) & yes, the screech is coming from the aux belt. :rolleyes:
Just one more thing while I'm here......I read somewhere that if you pull the small hose off the top of the EGR whilst idling, the engine note should change. So if there is no change at all does that mean the EGR is knackered ?

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
The note of the engine will change when the EGR is activated however it isn't always active, it is modulated so that sometimes it'll always be closed and sometimes it'll be open, so you can't really tell from that test for sure whether it is dead. If you get a clunk and a change in engine note as you remove the vacuum pipe then that is usually indicative of an EGR that is working normally though. If it fails in the open position you get lots of smoke and poor boost/performance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts