MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
rover_45
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I took out the old Rover cd player from my 2001 45 and I got the BMW to ISO cable BUT there is not enough room in the flaming hole to stick it all.

The BMW block with the ISO adaptor plugged into it is bloody huge due to the and there is no way i can force through the small hole's in the back of the stereo hole.

Then I have the normal Stereo to ISO block to try and stick somewhere too!!

The factory CD player had the back corner cut out so the BMW block could fit flush to the back of the unit.

I spent over an hour fiddling with the wires, moving the blocks around and trying to fit it all in - best i could get was the stereo sticking out of the front by about one inch!!

Has anyone else managed to fit a non-Rover headunit to their 45?
How did you deal with the leads and the BMW block in particular?

I am considering using a file on the hole's at the back of the inside of the stereo hole to try and make some more room to push the cables down.

This seems like a really dumb idea to make such a small space - did they not expect people to change their headunits?

Cheers

·
Registered
mg_zs
183 Posts
I manged to do it by removing the glove box and then reaching up behind the dashboard till I could find the leads, I then gently wiggled the wires and pushed the head unit in. I had to contend with phonos as well as the ISO blocks...total cowbag...longest part of the installation! In hindsight I would do as you suggest and get the big file out!
Considering they went with aftermarket headunits in the end, they must have made it much more difficult for the factory/dealers to fit them.

·
Registered
rover_45
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have considered taking out the glove box but i managed to reach up the back and grab the block by removing footwell carpets/cover underneath the glove box.
The problem is the BMW block, it just won't pysically fit through the blasted hole to go down the back and its too big to sit at the back of the stereo hole.

I have some phono leads and a usb to deal with too but those will be ok if i can do something with this stupid bmw block!!

File out a weekend I think, either that or go to a shop and it get the bmw thing taken off and wired up to ISO block instead

·
Registered
mg_zs
96 Posts
I have a motorised dvd unit in my zs180, I think the interior is the same as 45 inside? anyway there was so many wires and connections that it would not fit in without removing the glove box and cutting away the abs type plastic at the rear and side, this then enabled it to fit nicely, including hooking up cables for rear dvd headrest ......

Regards
Les

·
Registered
rover_45
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a motorised dvd unit in my zs180, I think the interior is the same as 45 inside? anyway there was so many wires and connections that it would not fit in without removing the glove box and cutting away the abs type plastic at the rear and side, this then enabled it to fit nicely, including hooking up cables for rear dvd headrest ......

Regards
Les
yes, this is what i think i will have to do....file out the abs plastic from the inside or remove glove box and cut away from the back.
Annoying as I have never had this prob in any other car, even my Clio had more room than this. lol.

How easy is it to remove the glove box?

·
Registered
rover_45
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
usual trick is to send one set of connections out of one of the holes and the pre-amps etc out of the other.
can't do that because the BMW wiring harness block is too big to fit through the hole!
I will have to file the hole out to make it big enough to put the block through at the weekend

·
Registered
533 Posts
when i fitted my sony xplode in my 45 it was quite easy glove box out and as i pushed the radio back i teased the wires and the blocks thru the holes in the radio mounting , these bmw blocks are these a standard fitting on all 45s

·
Registered
689 Posts
When I fitted my Sony Xplod head unit and sub, i removed the glove box, and and managed after alot of hassle to wiggle and get the BMW block through the hole, and attach the ISO connecter and place that back through the hole, i also have cables from the sub, and an ipod connector lead, and it all fits, it was just the pain of getting the Big block through at first. With persistence and effort, you should be able to get the block through without cutting away any plastic. The glovebox has two bolts just underneath, to the right and left which need removing and the glove box will come away.

·
Registered
36,566 Posts
When I fitted my Sony Xplod head unit and sub, i removed the glove box, and and managed after alot of hassle to wiggle and get the BMW block through the hole, and attach the ISO connecter and place that back through the hole, i also have cables from the sub, and an ipod connector lead, and it all fits, it was just the pain of getting the Big block through at first. With persistence and effort, you should be able to get the block through without cutting away any plastic. The glovebox has two bolts just underneath, to the right and left which need removing and the glove box will come away.
Sony X-Plod? I'm sure I've seen that brand before. Is it police surplus? :lol:

·
Registered
rover_45
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, after getting annoyed with trying to file and force block through i managed to figure out how to remove glove box and get BMW block through on its own then squeeze ISO connector through and join up at the back and pull some excess wire through too.
Everything would be fine if not for the BMW harness, surprised that a 2001 car would use such a own connector rather than an industry standard one.

Still couldn't get the steering wheel remote lead to work by plugging in between ISO and Stereo...guess I can live without that and move my hand a few inches off the wheel if needed.

Least my stereo is fully in and not looking attractive to any thieves walking by anymore :)

Thanks all

1 - 16 of 16 Posts