MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont believe u coz it sounds to easy and too good to be true:D
does that hurt the engine in any way? Will a garage do that?

·
Registered
105 Posts
hi ive read about and im lead to belive that you can get a bit more power from simple things like a new throttle body (the alloy type) ,enclosed air filter i prefer the bmc cda types they may be dear but you do stumble across decent ones on ebay for under 80quid, new manifold i think that the 4-2-1 branch manifolds are the best, just general better breathing for the car like backbox and midsections and sports cats. then you can go all out like getting it superchipped remapped and all that stuff but its dear for the gains you get, when i looked into it on my 105+ i was getting 3-5bhp gains for 300 quid where a bmc carbon fiber air filter should give that for under that according to the website. or then ya can just get a engine conversions but that is very costly :)

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
By 75HP engine do you mean the 1.4 8v SPI engine?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
im shure its 1.4 and that its 8v and that i have 75hp or 55kw ,made in 1999, not shure about anytthing else though:D
i just recently got interested, when my precious got a HGF. btw its still at the garage (gonna cut me short for a 1000€ or so), so im a complete NOOB:D

·
Registered
919 Posts
the throttle body will do nothing, yours is NOT a restricted 16v 25, its a normal SOHC 8v rover 200. (i had one!!)

theres nothing you can do to up the power besides swapping for a different engine.

:whistle:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Ok, according to the haynes manual i just dug up on e-mule its the 1.4 8v sohc K8 engine! so , is the TB change still recommended?
Oh right. Sorry, I presumed it was the 16v. Never mind, not worth doing any mods. Just save your cash and get a car with a a more powerful engine when you can. Mods are much more worth while then.:)

rje just want to say zr's looking great there loveing the paint job nice work
Thanks mate:broon:

Rich.

·
Registered
105 Posts
anyone know how i can get a little more power out of my 216 Sli 1999?
heres a good one for me :) i had a rover 216 a while ago before a fight with a mini bus made her unusable until we got her fixed then got tuck off my insurance :( i found that my 216 benifitted from a couple of small mods more than i expected ,i had a carbon fiber airfilter to be truthful from hadlfords the ripspeed carbon fiber airfilter was actually good it didnt make the car roar too loudly liek a open cone filter and i found made the car more responsive not bad for 70 quid even tho the bmc cda's are superior to these. secondly i got a new backbox and midsection for it which i found worked well then last but not least i fitted a de-cat. now there are alot of issues on the decats as they dont break down the harmful gases before bieng released into the atmosphere so there not eco friendly and you cant keep one on for mot but i found it made my car loads more responsive and better top end maybe a sports cat would be good as they do there job without killing the o zone :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Oh right. Sorry, I presumed it was the 16v. Never mind, not worth doing any mods. Just save your cash and get a car with a a more powerful engine when you can. Mods are much more worth while then.:)

Thanks mate:broon:

Rich.
The thing is i bought this car in quite a hurry in Slovenia (lived there before belgium) and after a year or so i moved to Belgium- with my car! I have had no trubble with it and it could easily do 150kmh, max 170kmh if its a bit downhill.
But all the reving took its toll lately and i got a HGF! The car is getting fixed as we speak, pricey repair, but i cant afford a new car right now and i cant aford to be without a car! U guys in GB are so lucky, here in europe its hell finding parts or a garage that realy knows what its doing! Ive seen a few 25's but i have never seen a ZR here, i would love one though! The only other thing that came to mind as an alternative was to get the 16v engine and stick it in, but i have no idea how much that would cost, and since i got the HGF and fixed it, i need to keep the car for at least a year or so, so that the repair job will make sence! And for 75hp is preety lively! My last car was a 1987 BMW 320i M , so u can imagine i was used to lots of torque and power, but the little Rover makes up for the lack in other departments! These little cars have character and once u own a rover, u either love it or hate it! I personnaly love it and in my view its a reliable car, despite many ppl telling me otherwise!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
But all the reving took its toll lately and i got a HGF! The car is getting fixed as we speak, pricey repair, but i cant afford a new car right now and i cant aford to be without a car! U guys in GB are so lucky, here in europe its hell finding parts or a garage that realy knows what its doing! Ive seen a few 25's but i have never seen a ZR here, i would love one though! The only other thing that came to mind as an alternative was to get the 16v engine and stick it in, but i have no idea how much that would cost, and since i got the HGF and fixed it, i need to keep the car for at least a year or so, so that the repair job will make sence! And for 75hp is preety lively! My last car was a 1987 BMW 320i M , so u can imagine i was used to lots of torque and power, but the little Rover makes up for the lack in other departments! These little cars have character and once u own a rover, u either love it or hate it! I personnaly love it and in my view its a reliable car, despite many ppl telling me otherwise!

Cheers!
Yeah, giving it loads of revs will kill it, especially from cold. A 16v is a much more 'rev happy' engine once warm, and doesn't start to come alive until 4000 rpm.

Changing the engine isn't really worth it IMO. It's a lot of work, and is gonna cost you a lot relative to the value of the car. Your best bet would be to save up, and get a 25. Throttle body, exhaust, and induction kit will make it very nippy, especially if you went for the 1.6.

Rich.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts