MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the site, I bought my 99 MGF a couple of months ago. I used to have a ZR but getting older now and wanted something a bit more 'classy' ..... (okay I admit it I wanted a soft-top). I have done a few minor mods but have a couple of questions if anyone has any experience/ideas for me.

First I've bought some 17" alloys but feel there is still a big gap between the wheel and arch. What, if any, is the easiest/cheapest way of lowering it slightly?

Secondly, I am interested in getting some side skirts but no idea of what's available, who supplies and how much etc.

Thirdly, I used to have a good sound system in my ZR with sub-woofer etc. Has anyone done much to their sound system and what have you done (dunno if a sub would sound good in the boot ... for obvious reasons).

Only one more I promise...

Has anyone attemped a F-TF Conversion with the front or rear bumpers and if so . . . was it easy and how much would it cost? I've seen that MS do it but wondered if it is possible to DIY it?

Many thanks in advance to all that reply!

Col :)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
fordc25 said:
Hi all,

I'm new to the site, I bought my 99 MGF a couple of months ago. I used to have a ZR but getting older now and wanted something a bit more 'classy' ..... (okay I admit it I wanted a soft-top). I have done a few minor mods but have a couple of questions if anyone has any experience/ideas for me.

First I've bought some 17" alloys but feel there is still a big gap between the wheel and arch. What, if any, is the easiest/cheapest way of lowering it slightly?

Secondly, I am interested in getting some side skirts but no idea of what's available, who supplies and how much etc.

Thirdly, I used to have a good sound system in my ZR with sub-woofer etc. Has anyone done much to their sound system and what have you done (dunno if a sub would sound good in the boot ... for obvious reasons).

Only one more I promise...

Has anyone attemped a F-TF Conversion with the front or rear bumpers and if so . . . was it easy and how much would it cost? I've seen that MS do it but wondered if it is possible to DIY it?

Many thanks in advance to all that reply!

Col :)
The `correct` way to lower your car is using lowering knuckes, this keeps the hydragas at its correct design pressure, but allows the car to sit approx 25mm lower (MGF Trophy)........ but this is not `easy or cheap` (unless you DIY), dont be tempted to just `let some fluid out` to lower it, this will destroy the ride quality (which will not be as good anyway with 17s fitted)!!.

The F-TF conversion is DIYable, the rear bumper and boot lid are a direct fit, the front bumper needs new mounting brackets making/buying and the headlights need some re-wire, but M/S does a `conversion kit` to cover the above!.
The only one I dont know of ever being done is the TF bodykit on an `F`, doubless due to the amount of work it would involve!!..

No idea`s on sound upgrades but whatever you do, DONT fix anything behind the seats with screws!!....... the petrol tank is right behind the panel behind your seats!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have put a poineer mp3 player in with an amp and a sub in the boot but the sound doesn't travel through too well for obvious reasons. Just wondered if anyone has come up with any other combinations of sound system?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm not really into ICE, please explain why you would put a speaker in the boot of a mid engined car? I can't for the life of me see how this would enhance the sound quality - unless it was just for when you were cleaning it on the driveway?
If you want good quality sound in a car why don't people just install a jack plug and use headphones? This approach would also save me pleasure of listening to whatever sh1^3 they are playing aswell - the Archers just isn't the same with a drum & base soundtrack.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well TBH i was just experimenting and need a better plan!

I'm really more considerate than most when it comes to booming music, I mainly play it loud on motorways etc coz i drive a lot in my job!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts