MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of putting Slim or the like in my tyres, TF160 16" wheels.

Because I'm fed up keep having to take it to the tyre prople at £20 per wheel, who never get it quite right and they leak again after a few weeks Apparently they aren't allowed to use wire wheels any more. Plus the cost of having the wheels recoated is quite a lot that I don't need to be spanding at the moment.

So has anyone put this stuff in the tyres and did it work? Oppinions please.

Val.

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,163 Posts
If your problem is air seeping out around the beading due to corrosion of the rim, using a tyre sealant will have no effect - these products work by using the rotation of the tyre and the centrifuge effect from this to spread the sealant around the inside of the treaded area of the tyre to seal punctures caused by perforation through the tread. They do not protect or repair punctures caused by perforation of the sidewall, or leakage around the rim.

The only long term solution for corrosion around the bead area is to clean it back to bare metal, sand it smooth and repaint. Simply using a wire wheel on a grinder only removes the current layer of corrosion - if the damaged area is not repainted, it will corrode again fairly quickly. Even when painted, the paint will eventually be worn through by the movement of the tyre against the vertical part of the bead area of the rim, but it should be several years before the corrosion from here creeps underneath the bead and causes air leakage again.

The added disadvantage of using a tyre sealant, is that should you get a puncture which is too much for the sealant to adequately heal up, most tyre companies will refuse to repair the tyre due to the difficulty of getting the inner surface cleaned of sealant sufficiently for a repair to bond successfully; = new tyre.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I used to put it sparingly in my old Range Rover Vogue as the wheels always seeped util I treated them with about 1/4 bottle of it. Worked a treat- it was the oxidisation of the alloy that was doing it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts