MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and girls....

I know this has been posted many a times before but I do be needing help!!! I wanna have 2 Subs fitted behind my seats
but from my understanding the fuel tank is behind one of the seats...

even so i have still heard of these installs existing on the MG TF's!!!

Can anyone tell me a bit more about them and what id need to do to get this done!!!?????????????

i.e. how much space do i have to play with and does this type of install sound good????

Thanks....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow both seats... how big is this fuel tank,

i mean is their even an engine behind the seats or is that just tucked in under the tank? :hyper:

so do i have any play at all???

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
THe best place for a sub is either in the passenger footwell, or a small one under the seat. The fuel tank stretches the width of the car, it's this large due to the fact that the engine is then behind it, so it has to make the most of the space it has

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
their goes my behind the seat idea... was good while it lasted! im not too sure how you would have one on the passenger footwell though....

any idea?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
The amount of room behind the seats will depend on how long your legs are.
I'm almost 6' so the space behind the seat is only 2-3".
I very rarely carry pasengers so have a sub/amp mounted behind the passenger seat. The sub is about 6-7" thick, so you loose 3-4" of seat travel. FYI its an 8" 350W sub and mono map which IMHO is more than enough for an F/TF.
TBO you only need 1 sub, as they do not operate in stereo, so a single higher output & better quality sub will be better than 2 cheaper poorer quality subs.
The sound quality will also depends upon your HU. If the source of the music is rubbish, so will the sound the speakers produce, no matter how good or expensive the speakers are. So if you haven't already, look at upgrading the Hu too.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
I've got a slimline panasonic active sub, it's about the size of a yellow pages. God knows how they cram an 8 inch driver in there but they have and it works a treat, and seeings as it's right behind your seat, it gives enough clout for me. Best of all, the tea leaves can't see it, and it's only held in with double sided velcro so no risk of drilling through wires / fuel tanks etc.
Don't get me wrong it's not a mega bass machine but at 70 there's still plenty of bass coming through.
Biggest sound upgrade I found was to upgrade the door speakers, I'm running 6.5" fusions with tweeters and they provide a fair amount of bass on their own.

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
Olg's 160 said:
any point of having powerful subs in the boot????
They do work, I've heard them, but you lose a lot due to the engine.

As it's an open top car you're better off going down the route that the two Steves have, with a smaller sub either behind, or under the seat. And as mentioned, upgrade the door speakers!

If you don't have rear speakers consider fitting a set of good 6x4s in there to help too, or upgrade your current ones.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
o man... so much to consider jus for a bit a base!

so whats better then.. a 6" sub under the seat... or 2 x 300 watt RMS 12" JBL's in the boot???

sorry bout the 100 questions!

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
Olg's 160 said:
o man... so much to consider jus for a bit a base!

so whats better then.. a 6" sub under the seat... or 2 x 300 watt RMS 12" JBL's in the boot???

sorry bout the 100 questions!
In the long term accounting for the fact you want to make the most of the sub, go for the underseat one, not only do you retain the use of your boot, you get to hear the same amount of sound from an underseat one, as you would from ones in the boot. Due to the fact that under the seat is a darn sight closer than being behind a roaring engine all the time.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Now to throw another option in the mix. :)

How good are you at building things Blue Peter stylee?

Cos I can tell you how to fit a JBL 12" DVC sub easily behind your passenger seat or point you in the direction of how to fit a JL Audio 8" in the passenger footwell but both require custom boxes being made from scratch!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Okely dokely then! :)

Right, to fit a 12" JBL you need one of these:
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4027.html

You'll notice the mounting depth is only 5-1/16" which makes it pretty thin.

Then you'll need this:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/boxcalculator.asp

This will allow you to work out the exact dimensions required for the right cubic capacity inside the box.

The idea is that you will be building a "box" which will sit perfectly between firewall and passenger seat. So it will look, once covered in black carpet, just like an extension of the firewall, thus making it nice and stealthy. The box will need to be pretty much as wide as the seat and run from the floor up to just under the T-bar but done properly, this will lead to a really neat install with the option of building another very similar box for behind the drivers seat to house any amps and crossovers etc.

Now to option 2:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=101883

Just read the above thread and all will be explained.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
mgf
142 Posts
Olg's 160 said:
any point of having powerful subs in the boot????
I assume you mean the rear in this question?? A guy in the "Essex Roadsters" group has two 12"s mounted in place of his spare wheel up front and that sounds very impressive indeed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts