MG-Rover.org Forums banner

ANOTHER MG-R Marketing Disaster

735 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  podders 
#1 ·
What do they use for brains? The same stuff as the board of directors probably. I've just seen the new MG ad with the OAPs driving away from the Nursing Home.

Can't they get it into their thick heads that MG and Rover have a huge image problem as being 'old people's cars', and any association as such just goes to re-inforce this image.

They might argue that they want to appeal to 'old people'. But guess what - not even 'old people' want to look old. Why do they think people buy Hair Dye and have facelifts.

The point of advertising is to spend money to INCREASE the appeal of your products, not make them look worse! The only decent advert they've come up with was the ZRs and ZSs playing football (and this probably came from MG-R Engineering). Everything else has been a waste of time and money.

They should have sacked everyone in Sales and Marketing 4 years ago, and replaced them with Cabbage Patch Dolls.

#2 ·
Actually I don't mind the ad, on the surface of it what you say could be true, but the ad is very light hearted and quite funny I think. It's especially the sort of ad they need for the TF, the fact is no-one markets a roadster to older people, and why the hell not.

MG's in the past were the soft top fodder for older people.

#3 ·
kV8stu said:
What do they use for brains? The same stuff as the board of directors probably. I've just seen the new MG ad with the OAPs driving away from the Nursing Home.

Can't they get it into their thick heads.....

If you looked at the ad properly, you would see that the driver is a woman in her 30's, driving TOWARDS a nursing home loaded with Mum/Nan and her belongings. It fits in with the current campaign- doing something unpleasant but softening the blow by using the MG.

Perhaps its just a little bit too sophisticated for you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.