MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I bought a 2004 TF just over a month ago.
I really like it, aside from it letting a lot of rain water in. Like I bought a hardtop thinking, yeah this will keep it safe in winter. I was wrong, I've been drying my carpet underlay off with towels and hairdryers.

Ive read through posts and such on how to adjust the windows, and the fix with plastic piping in the seals.
But, I'm still getting a significant amount of water coming in on both sides. Like, it seems to be pooling up near the wing mirrors, so I'm assuming its a cheater leak.
I'm just at a loss what else to try, so if anyone else has suggestions please, it'd be much appreciated thanks

·
Registered
mg_tf
494 Posts
Passenger side or drivers side or both? if just passenger side it could be heater intake although as a 2004 you should have a snorkel which are less prone to leak than the old style. I had a leak on the passenger side and it took me a VERY long time to find it, it was a faulty door seal. I'd try pulling the carpets back as much as you can and get someone to spray the outside with a hose while you look for leaks. The problem is some leaks show up in a different place to the actual point of ingress. good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both, I feel like it's not heater because like it does like pool on the door cards. Like I did read about it but the passenger side only has damp carpet around where it dropped off the speaker grille
I guess I'll give the hose thing a go tomorrow, if I can thanks

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,698 Posts
Welcome

The window adjustment so that the window seals with the hard top and with the soft top is something of a dark art!

If the leak is indeed coming from the cheater, have you packed it out with some plastic tubing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome

The window adjustment so that the window seals with the hard top and with the soft top is something of a dark art!

If the leak is indeed coming from the cheater, have you packed it out with some plastic tubing?

Yeah, Ive put plastic tubing in the channel on both sides, I'm fairly certain I did it right.
Like you should be able to see the tubing from outside the car right?
Also yeah, the adjustments never seem to make sense, feels half like a guessing game. Doesn't help one of my bolts snapped, but I can at least adjust the rest

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You shouldn't be able to see the tube at all as it effectively pads the inner part of the cheater.
Oh, strange. Like maybe I used too big of a tube, cause it looks like this
You shouldn't be able to see the tube at all as it effectively pads the inner part of the cheater.
Oh, strange. Like maybe I used too big of a tube or something, cause mine looks like this New item by pokemaster2331

·
Registered
mgf
953 Posts
Hi there,
I have the tubing in both door seals and with light rain I have no leakage with or without the hardtop on.
The MGF Centre Bill & Victoria have a MGF & TF specific cover called the Monsoon and I bought one at the MGFest a few years ago. When heavy rain is forecast I get the cover on, for light rain no. My driveway is sloping so I make sure the F is on level ground for rainy times. So in reality I'm always checking the weather. If sun comes out take it off so the car can breadth for a while. So for me the cover is the answer and it comes with 3 snap on ties for the windy days and has never been blown off. Is actually on ATM as we had a lot of rain here in Ire. Only saying it might be the answer until you get your major leaks sorted but from experience driving rain will always get in with these cars.😛⛈

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
404 Posts
With the hose test ideally you want to mimic rain if you have a concentrated jet and aim it at the windows from the side or in an upwards direction odds are it will leak and tell you nothing. The hose should spray up and then fall on the car like rain does then it might show where it's leaking. You can also try the messy way, when rain is forecast puff talc on the doorcards etc which should then show "witness" marks where the rivulets run and you can trace them back.
You can also sit in the car with a gauge made of a bit of plastic from a butter/marge container about 5/10mm wide and see if it slides easily through ANY area of the seals.
Hobby's suggestion of a small cover that just goes over the hood/H top is a good idea, these cars are not really designed to be out in really harsh weather. I use one if heavy rain is forecast even though after days of tweaking the adjusters it doesn't normally leak.
Just out of interest was it one of the cheater bolts on the waist rail that you snapped?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts