MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
oh dear god. please no...... leave well alone.... more rubbish than i put outside my door every thursday night.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
i still laugh at the fools that get dragged into these and actually think they will work!!!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
for 300 quid you could actully get something to give you more HP rather than something that could potentially fall apaprt mid thrash and end up nailing ure engine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your Wrong

My mate has this supercharger on his 214si.... no other mods exept a pipercross viper induction kit and a big bore exhaust..... it knocked the **** out of my car a few days ago when a wheek before he couldnt touch me (I have same car214si) I am saving up for this mod it really is a good un not sure abut a full 20+bhp tho it is a damed good un...

cheers
Si

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Rock It said:
My mate has this supercharger on his 214si.... no other mods exept a pipercross viper induction kit and a big bore exhaust..... it knocked the **** out of my car a few days ago when a wheek before he couldnt touch me (I have same car214si) I am saving up for this mod it really is a good un not sure abut a full 20+bhp tho it is a damed good un...

cheers
Si

i love the way you say no other mods bar a pipercross viper and big bore exaust... hahaha them alone will see him kicking your arse.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
everyone seems to slate em but everyone who have tried them have said they actually work.
maybe there not as good as a real supercharger but better than none. id have to try one before i pass judgement. like the rest of you should.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
if you want proof here it is, its useless.

Audi A4 A good difference!
BMW 525I Amazing Really goes some.
BMW M3 Great product, 17 BHP more
Ford Probe V6 pulls much better through the gears
Ford Mondeo fantastic Product, Great customer care
Ford Focus A+ super fantastic
Honda Civic 18 HP more, great.
Honda Prelude Thanks again guys, its ace
Mercedes 190E approx 15 brake more from the Generation 1
Mercedes E200 Good power difference, Filter sounds great
Toyota MR2 More torque more bhp, just as described +++
Toyota Supra 3.0 will definitely buy again,
Vauxhall cavalier SRI my 0-60 time is now 6.8 from 7.2, Great!
Vauxhall cavalier 1.6 you can really feel the boost!
Vauxhall Calibra 16V Awsome, really good
Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 Phat!!!!!!
Vauxhall Omega 2.0 smooth, good power increase
Vauxhall Vectra GSi I can really feel the difference in torque

if it flows that much air that it will gain 17bhp on a BMW M3, it will flow far too much air for a corsa 1.2 ecu to compute, it would underfuel and cause it to run like a sack of ****, the only benefits gained from this kit are the benefits of the open cone filter, namely no benefit, the noise makes it feel faster.

everyone that recommends them appears to have joined then posted straight away how good it was..coincidence or manufacturers/retailers trying to drum up good press....more likely

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
hmmmmmmmm POTN are quiet widely known, they are in nearly every modded car magazine, and one of their mini books usually comes out every year with redline or summit.

So im curious as to why they are selling a piece of cra...kit like this.

If you want to put it in your engine by all means go ahead, and if they can show everyone on here a dyno sheet before and after theyve fitted it to a vehicle (and fitted it alone) then wel believe the claims.

But the claims as Andy said, vehicle to vehicle (M3 to Corsa 1.2) have me laughing! how would it equally give them both 20hp?

Its up to you mate, but i can think of some better things to spend 300 quid on.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
simple potn are a company, companys like to make lots of money, therefore if they can sell a placebo for £300 they will!! i would be interested if the guarunteed a minimum hp figure on your sale and refuned 100% of the cost inc p&p and RR if it did ****all, but they dont and wont!!

the "dyno" sheets on the site are so pixelated you cant make out any numbers, nor do they provide the location of the rollers/the car driven or anything like that. the lines on the chart tail off at 5.5k RPM....what the hell petrol engine is done by 5.5k rpm?? the power is also very unstable all through the range which cannot be healthy, simply put they either bugger up the car or the car is buggered to start with.

another point to notice is the graphs are shown with the unit on and off....not fitted and standard, the fan in the unit would cause a huge obstruction to airflow with the unit off, so they results may be correct but its due to the fan lowering the lower of the car when not turned on. nothing to do with gaining power. the graph for g1 shows about 160bhp off and 180bhp on....car is probably 200bhp as standard

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
dac said:
everyone seems to slate em but everyone who have tried them have said they actually work.
maybe there not as good as a real supercharger but better than none. id have to try one before i pass judgement. like the rest of you should.
well you spend the £300 to test it and let us know your results
like i said most if not all have 12v computer fans in, if you wanted to, you could build your own for little over £10.
ever wondered why they never show you a pic of the fan, its to stop you seeing it for what it is(ie a cheap £10 computer fan)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try One

My friends car was a present from his parents he did exactly the same mods 2 his after i had done them to mine...... This kit really does work on this car ok it ight be a rip of but most 1.4 drivers would love an extra 15bhp...... will post in a few weeks and let you know if its broken yet?

IS a power boost valve a good investment? people seem 2 love or hate them

Cheers
Si

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
What are the tolerances on my 1.6k and gearbox with regards to extra BHP/torque? at what point will the engine and gearbox get too stressed?

·
Registered
45 Posts
gear box

My 1.4si has a 1.6sli gearbox in it, due to mods it buggerd it up smashed the diff and it died in a small lane in cornwall........
So i fitted a 1.6Sli gearbox and driveshafts and its worked sooooo much better and is much faster than it was £20 down the scrappy you might be able to do the same 2 a 1.6 with a 1.8 gearbox it would be worth looking into!
i did this job with the help of a good mech that new how thee thing work i wouldnt recomend trying it without help or a least advice!

Si

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
if that's a computer fan inside spinning at 40.000 RPM then i recon about a thousand miles before it colapses and feeds it's self into the induction system, or even worse as it's more likely to fail at full throttle it will become wedged in the butterfly of the throttle body jamming the throttle fully open and will more than likely see you have a rarther nasty accident.

oh and a simple answer to what you posted

"why is it people that havn't try'd it that slate it"

because the ppl that havn't try'd it know better to, ppl that tend to buy these things are little chavv's in the zr105's that think they can beat the world.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Rock It said:
My 1.4si has a 1.6sli gearbox in it, due to mods it buggerd it up smashed the diff and it died in a small lane in cornwall........
So i fitted a 1.6Sli gearbox and driveshafts and its worked sooooo much better and is much faster than it was £20 down the scrappy you might be able to do the same 2 a 1.6 with a 1.8 gearbox it would be worth looking into!
i did this job with the help of a good mech that new how thee thing work i wouldnt recomend trying it without help or a least advice!

Si
ill let someone correct me if i am wrong here but........

the 1.4 and 1.6 share tha same gearbox.

the 1.8 uses a pg1? therefor wont fit a 1.4 or 1.6?

right or wrong....

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
correct.......

not sure if the rastio's are diferent though, the 1400 and 1600 both use the R65 gearbox :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts