MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
If I had the appropriate cable I would give it a try. Might do some reading up on it this week and see about having a go though, thanks for the link - interesting stuff.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hmm, I have a look at this, read the blog and it is most interesting but I don't understand any of it because Im a modern illiterate! Im not joking. Does it enable you to make adjustments to your engine settings etc? Thanks for your time. Chris.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is just for reading error codes and showing live data. I have downloaded it and installed it on my phone, it is working ok on the phone. I will buy the USB OTG cable and the other cable and give it a try. Anyone knows where the diagnostics socket is on the facelift 620ti?

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,502 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hmm, I have a look at this, read the blog and it is most interesting but I don't understand any of it because Im a modern illiterate! Im not joking. Does it enable you to make adjustments to your engine settings etc? Thanks for your time. Chris.
As denis747 says, I'd be surprised if we were able to make changes using this, you'd need a proper T4 machine for that. It's more for diagnostics - I'd imagine it'll show similar info to the "Torque" app which I used to use on my ZS (and still use on my mum's R45) which connects via Bluetooth to an ODB reader, you can use it to read and reset diagnostic codes, monitor RPM, coolant temperature, and so forth.

·
Registered
metro
27 Posts
In the six months since this was posted, has anyone used this in earnest, especially on MEMS 1.6 (I realise this is a Rover 600 forum so I guess that's MEMS 1.9)?

I have used the Windows MEMS diagnostic at: http://alum.wpi.edu/~colinb/mems_interface.html

and I'm very happy with it. Not having an Android device, and being unable to run the Android app in an emulator on Windows, I would consider getting a basic device just to run the app, but I'd like to hear what people think of it first. If, for example, it tells me little more than the Windows app, then there's no point in going to all the effort and expense.

UPDATE: I managed to get this app running on Windows 7 using an Android emulator called Andyroid. I tried other emulators bit they couldn't do the USB passthrough. After a post to the Andyroid forum I managed to get the app running, and I have to say it was worth every minute of the couple of days trying to find an emulator that would work and then setting up. Apparently, some Android devices won't play the app - there's a free 'lite' version to try before buying the full version, the best £7.50 I've ever spent.

Many thanks.

Martin

·
Registered
metro
27 Posts
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=784234&page=2

I have had this working really well on the 1.9 on my 620ti 1997
Many thanks, rover 64. Since posting, I have managed to run this app on my Windows 7 laptop through an Android emulator called Andyroid. None of the other emulators I tried could pass through the usb data. I am very impesssed with it, as I am with a Windows app called MEMS Diag 1.6, but as the name suggests, it has been developed only for MEMS 1.6, because the developer lives in the US and only has access to his own Mini SPi.

Have you played with the tuning tab at all on this Android app?

·
Registered
146 Posts
No I haven't tried any of the tuning features as yet but hope to when I get time. First take down all the Base settings so I can put them back if worse.

It would be good to find out what the parameter settings were when the car left the factory but can't seem to find that info no matter where I look.

·
Registered
metro
27 Posts
No I haven't tried any of the tuning features as yet but hope to when I get time. First take down all the Base settings so I can put them back if worse.

It would be good to find out what the parameter settings were when the car left the factory but can't seem to find that info no matter where I look.
On my Rover 100 SPi, MEMS 1.6, I looked at the "unknown" tunable, which Pawel, the developer, suspected was related to ignition advance. At first, by taking measurements with the car stationary, I found there was no effect on ignition advance, but when Pawel suggested that it might only take effect under load, I tested the car whilst driving up a hill using different settings (increments) for that "unknown" setting, and, it does, indeed, alter the advance curve under load. For example, at around 3000rpm (second gear up hill)

INCREMENTS vs. DEGREES OF ADVANCE
116 = 27.5
126 = 24
140 = 18

(The default setting is 128. http://memsdiag.blogspot.co.uk. )

I might try to come up with more precise figures by using a hand vacuum pump to simulate load as sensed by the MEMS manifold pressure sensor with the car stationary.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Did you feel it improved the driveability or give any improvements in Performance?

I tried accessing the mems 1.6 on my 820 turbo yesterday after buying all the relevant leads and connectors but couldn't get it to connect with the ecu using the colours identified, what colour wires did you use on yours martin.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently tried the app after reading about it on this thread as I wanted to extract certain live data from the ecu to compare with my PLX gauge. I knew it was over reading coolant temp so it was nice to have this confirmed and also to see by how much. Now I can try to adjust my plx to suit actual readings.

·
Registered
metro
27 Posts
Did you feel it improved the driveability or give any improvements in Performance?

I tried accessing the mems 1.6 on my 820 turbo yesterday after buying all the relevant leads and connectors but couldn't get it to connect with the ecu using the colours identified, what colour wires did you use on yours martin.
Apologies - I've now set up e-mail alerts. Sorry.

Mine is a MEMS 1.6 with a 3-pin connector so I used the instructions at http://alum.wpi.edu/~colinb/mems_interface.html. I expect you have the later connector.

If yours is a 3-pin, I'll send you photos, otherwise Pawel, the developer of the app, is very good at replying to questions. Perhaps your Android device can't cope (see below)?

And yes, advancing the ignition to the 116 increments did improve drivability, all the more so when compared with the car retarded to 140! And there are graphs on Pawel's website showing torque and power curves for those 2 settings http://memsdiag.blogspot.co.uk/ That timing tunable advances the timing map when the manifold absolute pressure (load) gets to around 65 kPa.

From the MEMSDiag site - some devices don't work:

"It has been reported recently that some devices doesn't support USB API correctly, despite having Android version > 3.1 (the first release with USB OTG host mode API available to application layer).

Basically, the non-functioning devices can be divided into two groups:

a) Hardware USB host mode not implemented.

A good example is LG Swift G (or related) mobile handheld, a rumour says that +5V DC supply voltage is not available, a result of hardware cost-cutting. Obviously there's nothing that could be done to enable USB host mode on those devices

b) Hardware USB compatible with host mode, Android version >=3.1, pendrive or mouse works fine, yet no USB devices are visible form the application layer.

This mostly is true when it comes to no-name devices (tablets), it looks as if manufacturers were in a big rush to release a product and forgot to properly configure Android OS.

Some devices can be fixed, a solution is to modify/copy a file in the /system/etc/permissions.

One must have root access to able to remount and modify those files.

See the thread:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11183792/android-usb-host-and-hidden-devices

Quotation from the above link:............"

·
Registered
rover_200_95_99
61 Posts
hi martin, interested to know how you got this working with andyroid, have you got a link to the forum thread? i'd be very interested in setting this up and also dont have an android device!

·
Registered
metro
27 Posts
hi martin, interested to know how you got this working with andyroid, have you got a link to the forum thread? i'd be very interested in setting this up and also dont have an android device!

No link, I'm sorry to say. How much at ease are you with computing technology and things like virtual machines? I was, and still am, no expert, so it took me a couple of days to sort out and I still don't know exactly what I did: I just wanted to get it working and wasn't interested in what was going on in the background, which, from a computer-security standpoint wasn't my normal procedure. As I remember it, I downloaded and installed Andyroid, and without too much difficulty managed to get to the Google Play Store through that app, which appears in Andy. I then installed the lite version of MEMS Diag to ensure it works. Then I got to the bit that stumped me for a bit: enabling USB passthrough. I had to open the Oracle Virtualbox program that installs with Andy and go into the settings to USB and alter one setting and that was it.

Screenshot https://www.dropbox.com/s/p057biojf1he7l3/File%2020-11-2015%2C%2009%2025%2043.jpeg?dl=0

(I've tried including the image but all I see is a small icon containing a "?", hence the link.)

If you are familiar with virtual machines you will find it a lot easier than I did, but then I'd spent 3 or 4 frustrating weeks beforehand trying 3 other emulators, none of which were capable of live usb data transfer. After I proved it all worked I went back to the Play Store and got the full app. Of course, it takes a little while to learn your way around Andyoid - what the icons mean, but that wasn't too difficult.

That said, if you want to use the new feature in MEMS Diag - the calculated fuel consumption, which takes GPS data for distance gone, you would need an Android device. On the other hand, my Windows laptop, bulky as it is, does permit me to switch between the Windows MEMS program by Colin Bourassa - MEMSGauge - and the Android MEMSDiag.

[I notice that the latest version of Andyroid seems also to load software from VMWare; I don't know if that's an alternative to Oracle Virtualbox (which didn't get updated in the latest Andyroid) or if they have switched the virtual machine element. And I didn't want to fully uninstall and re-install to find out!]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Apologies - I've now set up e-mail alerts. Sorry.

Mine is a MEMS 1.6 with a 3-pin connector so I used the instructions at http://alum.wpi.edu/~colinb/mems_interface.html. I expect you have the later connector.

If yours is a 3-pin, I'll send you photos, otherwise Pawel, the developer of the app, is very good at replying to questions. Perhaps your Android device can't cope (see below)?

And yes, advancing the ignition to the 116 increments did improve drivability, all the more so when compared with the car retarded to 140! And there are graphs on Pawel's website showing torque and power curves for those 2 settings http://memsdiag.blogspot.co.uk/ That timing tunable advances the timing map when the manifold absolute pressure (load) gets to around 65 kPa.
Hi Martin,

Yes i did get the 1.6 working ok the problem was my poor soldering on the signal wire, so i can successfully talk to all my rovers. As yet i still havent tried the tuning elements due to too many things on and with winter fast approaching this will now be a spring/summer project now i have comms.

My android devices are sony experia and have no issues at all but do understand on lesser make equipment this may causes problems.

As you have said Pawel is very good on the tech support and has developed some upgrades which i am still to access although have updated the software. I did mention to him during emails about ABS and SRS functionality and hopefully this is something he will develop given time.

A very worthwhile app and tool with very little outlay.

·
Registered
metro
27 Posts
Hi Martin,

Yes i did get the 1.6 working ok the problem was my poor soldering on the signal wire, so i can successfully talk to all my rovers. As yet i still havent tried the tuning elements due to too many things on and with winter fast approaching this will now be a spring/summer project now i have comms.

My android devices are sony experia and have no issues at all but do understand on lesser make equipment this may causes problems.

As you have said Pawel is very good on the tech support and has developed some upgrades which i am still to access although have updated the software. I did mention to him during emails about ABS and SRS functionality and hopefully this is something he will develop given time.

A very worthwhile app and tool with very little outlay.
I'm really pleased you not only sorted out the problem but that you are very happy with the app. When you think that all the app developer has to work on is a stream of binary data, the mind boggles. They then have to do a lot of detective work and drawing of graphs to try and relate all those ones and zeros to something meaningful such as idle speed adjustment.

Well done. Now treat yourself to a better soldering kit and a head magnifier!

Best wishes

Martin

1 - 20 of 43 Posts