MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I'm having one as my next rover!!!! Yes I'd have the auto rover one hehe would have to have a gas conversion though - bet it drinks like my mother !

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Unfortunately the 260 was a standard ZT with the ford engine. I think from memory that this engine can be supercharged to 400bhp?

You could try sticking one in your ZR, that'll be an interesting mod. :D

It was hardly standard mate it went off to California to be converted to RWD, it had a Getrag gearbox and possibly different suspension because of the extra weight. Plus a load of minor differences such as electrical systems, ECU, four exhaust pipes, 18" alloys and the removal of the heat directional wheel on the dash board which was replaced by a V8 badge. There was lots of development work carried out. I love the car and MGR should be applauded for getting it to production as Ford tried for years to convert the ST Focus in RWD and never managed it. However I think this along with the SV, City Rover, the Motorsport programme and Land speed record attempt should have been side-lined and the money pumped into the 45 replacement. Sorry a little off topic there!!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'm having one as my next rover!!!! Yes I'd have the auto rover one hehe would have to have a gas conversion though - bet it drinks like my mother !
It would probably give Charles Kennedy a run for his money

Noo I haveney got a drink problem, there is plenty of booze in Scotland

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
It would probably give Charles Kennedy a run for his money

Noo I haveney got a drink problem, there is plenty of booze in Scotland
Haha I so want one - style, class and a stonking engine with a nice auto. huum one day. Only thing that would beat it I think would be same set up but coupe

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It was hardly standard mate it went off to California to be converted to RWD, it had a Getrag gearbox and possibly different suspension because of the extra weight.
That's the first I've heard of it. As far as I was aware the rear-drive conversion was designed and engineered in Longbridge and the cars all went down the standard production line with the fwd models.

It had different (longbridge-designed) rear suspension, and the gearbox was a Tremec, not a Getrag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts