MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well today i finally got my 10" sub in the car powered by my Phoenix gold Octane 4.0.2 amp. Now i wired it up like i did my last amp, ran the RCA's down the one side, put the signal wire with it and then plugged it all in in the boot. Now i've got a problem. Before i put the wires under the carpet, i did a test on the amp and it worked fine. Nice and loud. I then turned it off and put the wires under the carpet. After that, nothing worked at all. I'm getting the diagnostic light blinking once when its powered up and there's no bass. I tried it with another amp, and the diagnostic light comes up on that too. Then tried a 3rd amp and the same thing happens. I'm totally confused now, cause i have NO idea whats going on!!! i tried a different sub and still nothing. Any idea's???
Steve

·
Window Licker
22,048 Posts
Something simple like the RCA cables haven't been plugged in at the headunit maybe? It's probably something so simple you've overlooked it! :)

Is there any noise coming from the sub at all?

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gra, i took the RCA's out at the head unit when the problem started, and used another set directly to the amp, over the seats etc into the boot, and still the same problem. My and Phil have been completely stumped by this. not got a clue what it is

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll double check it tomorrow, but all the points are visable and good. i'll try re-wiring it tomorrow.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
218 Posts
Could be a dodgy earth Steve,but sounds like a trapped wire somewhere,i.e remote switching,power etc hence it stopping working after you ran the wires under the carpet ,Dennis

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Den - i just found it odd that the protection light comes on on the amp when the stereo turns on. i might just remove it all and start again and double and triple check with the multimeter.
Steve

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Ive pm you the link to the user manuals on p gold amps,

taken from the manual for your amp:

Status Light:

RED, if the internal heatsink reaches 90c, the amp shuts down until all internal components come below 90c, also this light will also light up, if there is a direct short on the speaker outputs.

Also when all is correct the badge should light up blue,

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
IM going for a dodgy remote lead, or a single strand of speaker wire bridging the speaker outputs, its going to be 1 of them annoying simple things, thats easily overlooked.

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thing is though, when i bridged the signal input directly to a 12v feed, it still didn't come on.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Disconnect the speaker wires at the amp, and see if the same happens? That may atleast rule out half of the wires. There's no way it's damage on the amp, if you've tried 3. The earth has to be working otherwise it wouldn't turn on... as does the live/remote.. so it must be a short somewhere... if it's not in the amp(s), it's gotta be one of the wires... you're not blowing fuses, so it's not the positive shorting to ground. Could be impedence issues potentially...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It may be taking the earth through the ground side of the rca's enough to give it a showing of ground, but not a strong enough earth for the amp to pass huge current through, (hence the amp showing the error)

1 solution would be to try the amp on a car with known good wiring, that eliminates a possable suspect, if the amp works you then know its a cableing/feed/earth problem...

try just connecting the + - and remote, see if the amp powers up as normal, that only gives you 3 wires, if it still shows an error it has to be 1 of the 3,

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Mokas - can you explain how a poor earth in the RCAs would cause the amp to go into protection please? I've seen people solder the positive at one end to the negative at the other end, and vice versa (i.e the +ve at the amp gets a ground signal, and vice versa) and it doesn't cause the amp to go into protect. I thought protection was for shorting/overheating/etc?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
mulletboy2 said:
Mokas - can you explain how a poor earth in the RCAs would cause the amp to go into protection please? I thought protection was for shorting/overheating/etc?

First of all there is more than just short and overheationg protection.

the RCA leads will be isolated from ground, IE not a true earth, also same with the earth on the case of the amp, thats not used as an earthing point, so the amp will protect itself and protect its self, because your trying to send best part of 20+ amps through the earth side of the rca's then through the headunit.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Steve220 said:
god knows. It was reading 6v over the circuit.
Steve
Sorry, dont know much about audio stuff, is 6V generally alot from a Preout??

Just that I just bought a new Pioneer HU and it has three seys of preouts at 6V a pop.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts