MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

At the moment I'm running a Pioneer DEH-P3600MP HU alongside a cheap Mutant 80w RMS amp, which is bridged to run a 10" sub.

It sounds good, and produces some tight weighty bass, but it's only a temporary setup until I can afford to replace the front speakers in my 214 with some Infinity components.

I'm looking to order the new speakers within the next couple of weeks and was considering moving the amp from the boot, to under one of the front seats, as I will be removing the sub box from the car anyway.

What I want to know is, will it be safe to drill through the floor of my car under one of the seats so that I can secure the amp with screws? Are there any pipes/cables which run under those particular points, and also, will there be enough room under the seat to hide the amp from prying eyes.

I would go out and mess about moving the amp around, but it's dark and raining, and I only had this idea tonight. Also, are there any suitable earth points nearby? Could I earth the amp on the seat mounting brackets, or do they not touch the car body?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
IUt's completely unnecessary to drill through the body of the car - drill some mounting holes in a piece of appropriately sized MDF, lift the carpet back to the point where you can fit the MDF on the floorpan where you want the amp located, locate the holes in the MDF using a pin or something, then drill/punch holes through the carpet. If you want to be really tidy, you could put some O-rings around the edge of the carpet, so it doesn't fray or look naff, and then you screw the amp, through the holes in the carpet, onto the MDF board... Re-position your carpet and fix it down, and hey presto - no metal shards in sight :)

HTH

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mulletboy, that's a damn good idea and one that never crossed my mind.

Thanks very much. It definately would be a lot lot easier than drilling through the floorpan. The bit about the O-rings is also good... they would give a nice tidy professional touch.

After looking under my front seats, I doubt the amp will fit, so I'm going to have to have a longer think about where to put it. I was thinking about a false back wall in the boot... just something to keep the amp well hidden if the worst did happen... (a lot of shady characters around here).

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
No worries mate :) Can't see in the pic, but is your car a 2 or a 4 door? If it's a 2-door, there's shed loads of space behind the rear quarters. If not, what about the spare wheel well in the boot? Or just over the wheel arch, behind an MDF/trimmed board?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phil_216sli_Mk3 said:
cheap heated seats! :rotflmao:
That had crossed my mind :D

It's a 4 door mulletboy2 :)

I've been thinking about building a fake back wall into the boot actually, and have been toying with different ideas on how to secure the amp to make theft difficult whilst allowing quick access.

I think I'm going to fix a piece of MDF between the rear seats and the plastic trim behind the seats, and then will build a little compartment at the back of the boot which will be fixed to this piece of MDF. I will then fix hinges to the compartment at the bottom, and bolts/padlocks at the top. Finally, I'll cover it all in carpet, whilst leaving 2 flaps for easy access to the padlocks.

What I plan to achieve is a finished product which looks like a normal back wall to a boot, but yet I can remove the padlocks to have the compartment fold down revealing the amps and all cabling.

This should make it very difficult to steal, especially with the alarm going off!

Thanks for the replies though. It's much appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Unfortunately, you can go to as much hassle as you like to secure your ICE, but if a thief wants it, they'll get it! Making it harder for them only makes them more likely to damage your car (deliberately aswell as by accident) in the process of removing it.

Personally, I'd rather they left the car in one piece and took the ICE than destroyed the car aswell. People who fix their headunits in properly often find that their dash is destroyed in the removal process, for example. Once they're in the car, a bit of security makes very little difference tbh.

How hard is it to break a bit of 18mm MDF, much less a padlock with the right equipment?

If you're going for the ultimate in security, keep your car completely standard where possible, add security film to your windows, add deadlocks to the doors, strengthen everything you can, use security screws rather than regular ones etc... but you could spend weeks securing your car, then have it all go t1ts up just because you played "the thong song" a bit too loud driving through town.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
cmburgin said:
if u need to go throught that much then u need to move house imho
lol, this area isn't that bad, but there are a group of chavs who keep pestering me to take them out for a drive. I knew one of them years back and didn't see him for 5 years until I got my car. He thinks I'm his mate and so proceeds to invite all his little chav buddies around to talk to me when I'm outside working on the car. They've all seen the sub and amp in the boot thanks to that numpty opening it when I wasn't looking... glad to say they all saw me remove the sub from the boot yesterday.

mulletboy2, I agree totally about the standard look. That's the reason I won't go for 6x9's... well that and the fact that I hate the sound they produce. It doesn't matter if you have a stealth shelf... a thief only has to see a non-standard parcel shelf and knows there's something under there.

My thinking behind the boot build, is if they can't see it, they can't nick it. It'll stop any quick smash and grab attempts anyway, and that's mainly what I'm aiming for. If a thief opened my boot and saw the sub and amp there, all he would have to do is cut a few wires and take both (amp is screwed to sub box)... at least this way they'll look in, see nothing and make off... at least that's the plan.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Joe_g

I have thought extensively about the concealing of my kit as I live in a very high risk area and if mounting any speakers to the parcel shelf, i would recommend placing proper ice carpet over them, i have done that and I simply place the carpet over them when i leave the car. but thieves will only go through the trouble of breaking into you boot if they know theres something in there worth nicking, so i just keep the muzik down when driving round my local area then blaze the sounds when I have left the estate

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
joe_g_uk said:
I have thought extensively about the concealing of my kit as I live in a very high risk area and if mounting any speakers to the parcel shelf, i would recommend placing proper ice carpet over them, i have done that and I simply place the carpet over them when i leave the car. but thieves will only go through the trouble of breaking into you boot if they know theres something in there worth nicking, so i just keep the muzik down when driving round my local area then blaze the sounds when I have left the estate
That's exactly what I do :) Being stealthy with the volume is better than any form of hiding the equipment.

I've started building an enclosure in the boot, which will eventually have a folding panel which locks in place over the amps. I'll then cover the whole lot in the same carpet that my boot is trimmed in, which should hopefully give the boot a very standard appearance when opened.

Every day around here makes me wish I could move somewhere else. I've just come home from work to find a car parked in my usual spot with a smashed windscreen. The car belongs to the next door neighbours, who are Asians and can't speak proper english. They don't harm anyone and yet get treated so badly when they're actually really friendly people.

Now imagine if that was my car, and these fools who did this smashed my windscreen, or maybe my dads. I know who torments the Asians next door... it's the same chavs that I talked about earlier in the thread.

I came home from college earlier today to see them standing opposite the house next door. As I reversed in to park, I didn't look at them, but I could feel them staring at me. It's so intimidating I wish they would all bog off!

Well, this post has gone a bit OT, but nevermind :)

Cheers for the replies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.