MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
classic_mg
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to change my alternator as the bearings on the old one were squealing. After completing the job, I started up and checked that the alternator charging light went out. It did.

A few days later on a long drive up the motorway, the electrical system went down. Managed to crawl into a service station and called the AA. They arrived fairly promptly and found that the alternator was not charging. At my suggestion, they took the engine cover off to see if I had connected it up right. I had, and then remembered the fuse under the grill in the boot. It had blown.

Moral

1 don’t assume that because the charging light goes out, it is actually charging.

2 always disconnect the battery before messing with the alternator. I must have caused the fuse to blow

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,654 Posts
When the ignition is first turned on before the engine start it is worth checking that the battery/alternator warning light comes on, if it doesn't at that stage then there is a fault with the charge circuit. Once the engine is started if the light doesn't go out then there is possibly an issue with the drive belt.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
I had to change my alternator as the bearings on the old one were squealing. After completing the job, I started up and checked that the alternator charging light went out. It did.

A few days later on a long drive up the motorway, the electrical system went down. Managed to crawl into a service station and called the AA. They arrived fairly promptly and found that the alternator was not charging. At my suggestion, they took the engine cover off to see if I had connected it up right. I had, and then remembered the fuse under the grill in the boot. It had blown.

Moral

1 don’t assume that because the charging light goes out, it is actually charging.

2 always disconnect the battery before messing with the alternator. I must have caused the fuse to blow
I’ve got a Mini that’s light comes on and it IS charging!

·
Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
144 Posts
Hopefully, everyone reading this thread already knows that in the case of alternator failure, it is wise to remove the fuse for the EPAS. (unless you are already close to home). This is a 40Amp fuse, so serious levels of current are demanded at low speeds during any steering inputs. Therefore the power steering can drain the battery VERY quickly. The picture below is pinched from information in an earlier post by Roverlike, so all credit to him. F Mk2 & TF Mk1 EPAS fuse is in much the same place, as I recall. Mk2 TF and later : not sure, but worth finding out before you need to find that fuse on that dark, wet night, which by Murph's law will be when your Mk2 TF or whatever has alternator failure!
Circuit component Product Automotive lighting Passive circuit component Hardware programmer

Obviously, once the fuse is removed DO EXPECT TO NEED TO APPY MORE FORCE TO ACHIEVE FULL STEERING CONTROL!!! 😆

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The MGTF with an 80 amp fuse in the engine bay isolates the alternator from the starter/battery if the fuse is removed. Different from the F that has a fusible link wire where a battery disconnect is required. On my F I installed an 80 amp fuse in the engine bay using the relevant part of the MGTF engine loom.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
13,356 Posts
... The picture below is pinched from information in an earlier post by Roverlike, so all credit to him. F Mk2 & TF Mk1 EPAS fuse is in much the same place, as I recall. Mk2 TF and later : not sure, but worth finding out before you need to find that fuse on that dark, wet night, which by Murph's law will be when your Mk2 TF or whatever has alternator failure!
At time I created thread with all Fuses information I was not aware of fact that EPAS fuse position was not given for MK2 MGTF.
Now when I came back onto subject I noticed that there are several mistakes within RAVE and printed wiring diagrams for MK2 MGTF.
In case of MK2 MGTF there is no separate EPAS fuse like in case of earlier versions and as indcated on fusebox description. For purpuse of EPAS fuse Fuse Link 4 within umder bonnet fusebox is used - rating 40 amps.
In wiring diagrams is an error that this same Fuse Link is described as Ignition switch fuse link, when it is not connected to ignition switch. Also in wiring diagrams you might find thatl same fuse link is used for other purposes beside EPAS when that is not true.
Fuse Link 4 is solely used for EPAS and nothing else.
In all other situations mentioned in diagrams instead of Fuse Link 4 should be stated Fuse Link 5.

I will have to see if I can change above mentioned thread with Fuse information inmorder to add this info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts