MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
473 Posts
The original alternators had an adjuster bolt threaded through the lower bracket, as the screw is steel and bracket aluminium they corrode and seize up, when you try to adjust it they can snap off. You then revert to using a crowbar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought there might have been some sort of contraption, but could not see it on the parts diagram. The top bolt was fairly tight and I was able to whack the adjusting nut which helped get the desired tension on the belt.

·
Registered
classic_mg
83 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Registered
MGF 75th Anniversary
62 Posts

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,586 Posts
I think it is not simply that it doesn't fit, but that it is unnecessary.

The air conditioning equipped cars have a completely different arrangement for tensioning the belt as it is much longer and also drives the air-con compressor. They use a separate adjustable tensioner pulley instead of moving the alternator position, and that doesn't have the seizure issues associated with the adjuster within the alternator casting used by the non-air con cars.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,613 Posts
If anyone is interested in fitting the upgraded bracket CJJ has produced and excellent how to How to fit a modified alternator adjuster.

This thread reminded me that I must do something with my seized bracket, I have been tempted in the past by the upgraded bracket but I was put off by the reports of bolts snapping off in the engine block. However this seems to also happen with the OEM bracket so...

Font Wood Material property Tool Circle

·
Registered
classic_mg
83 Posts
I have to tell you that I found undoing the front nut on the old bracket absolutely impossible. After hours of trying and gallons of Plusgas, I cut it off with a Dremel

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,613 Posts
My cars adjuster has never worked, the bolt and nut have damaged threads and are stuck in the new belt position. The only time it came apart was 10 years ago when the original alternator failed a few days before selling my house, so I had quickly jam everything back together. It would cheaper to buy a new bolt and nut!

Not wanting to damage the alternator I didn’t use the impact wrench but instead a size 10 and a breaker bar and quite some effort.

Automotive tire Crankset Gear Bicycle part Rim

Shoe Leg Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire

Tool Automotive tire Gas Bicycle part Auto part

1 - 11 of 11 Posts