MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought some bits an bobs to fit my k&n properly an turns out the aluminium pipe i bought was too long so i cut a bit off an it still didnt fit so i ended up putting it in the position i have in the photos, just wondered what your opinions are.
Im taking out my cold air feed coz i doubt it will need it down there plus its out the way of the manifold an the block so not much heat soak,also there is plenty of flex in rubber bit on the throttle body so it wont move alot when the engine moves, plus it sounds amazing better than just on the standard pipe so i wouldnt mind keeping it there!!!!! + & - anyone, cheers J

Attachments

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
i reckon u will get lots more heat soak than u think, its in an enclosed part of the engine bay, so its not going to get much breeze to it is it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be an enclosed part of the engine bay but were the filter sits its drawing cold air directly from the underneath the car as its totally open after the back of the gearbox, so any more negatives, J

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I think that will be OK as far as heat soak is concerned. It's away from the engine and hot air rises, so it should draw cooler air from underneath.
Why don't you strap a thermometer to the side of the filter with an elastic band or somat and go for a good run then tell us what the temp is.
I'd be interested to know and you may be on to an improved position for the filter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good Good!!

Will do mate,as soon as i get a chance.Im also gonna remove the bottom half of the standard air box an run the standard k&n pipe off the cold air feed behind the passenger light the one for the O.E air box, plus lookin through magazines and websites it seems ive made my own K&N Generation 2 which uses aluminium pipe the same way i have to move it closer to the cold air an away from the engine an also the Pipercross Velocity which does the same as i hav an also the Generation 2 although the velocity is 95% Carbon-Fibre,So ive only two worries one is when it rains,will it suck water although im sure slipstream will take rain away from near the filter an along the underneath of the car the other is dust an general large amounts of dirt & mud although in theory the slipstream should again do the same as it would with rain and move it along the underneath of the car. Anymore feedback welcome
Cheers J

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Don't bother with the OE air feed. You need ram air and the OE feed is in stale air.
Any air feed you set up needs to be force fed from the front of the car.

Don't worry about the filter sucking up water. It won't get the chance where you have it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When i ment generation 2 from K&N i ment Typhoon take a look, http://www.knfilters.com/typhoon/tthesystem.html it is near identical to mine apart from all the supporting bits an bobs which i dont need so why spend all that on a SR Typhoon when u can by a K&N 57i for £50 and the alloy pipe an reducers for £27 from Apiro thats only £77 and it will be just as good, if anyone needs part numbers of bits ill be willing to help!!! J

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
ashy said:
I think that will be OK as far as heat soak is concerned. It's away from the engine and hot air rises, so it should draw cooler air from underneath.
Why don't you strap a thermometer to the side of the filter with an elastic band or somat and go for a good run then tell us what the temp is.
I'd be interested to know and you may be on to an improved position for the filter.
Strap a thermometer to the filter, what a cracking idea!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts