MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Alpine Highline Sat Nav - Full Audio Failure

6K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Keith Alexander 
#1 ·
Good morning!

I have the below system fitted to my Rover 75. The problem I have is a complete lack of Audio in the car. The radio does not work, the CD changer does not work, the Sat Nav works with No Audio and the same for the TV.

The Dealer said that the unit in the boot had gone (the boot seal failed and it was full of water) and they wanted 300 quid for a new one. So I found one on ebay out of a BMW (same system I believe, I identical unit.)

This morning I connected this unit up and still nothing. The radio side of the system is completly dead, no change at all. On the incar unit, the right hand nob does not respond and it not lit up at all. The left hand one works fine.

I did notice however that the connector has 2 loose wires coming from it, which I am sure should be connected into the connector.

So the question is

1) Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this connector? Or a picture of their connector?
2) Do you need a special tool to get the wire back into it?
3) The two wires loose are white/red and purple and pink - does anyone know what they are? I am guessing the white/red may be switched positive?

Thanks in advance for any help. If you need any more info please let me know.

Alpine Highline Satellite Navigation

Eight-speaker, 4x25 watt Alpine audio system including separate rear tweeters with in-car television and full colour GPS Satellite Navigation.
Fitted as an optional extra to all MG ZT and Rover 75 models.

See less See more
#2 ·
A bit more...

OK, the unit must have power because using a multimeter:

I have found 12V between the Green/White and the Black. So Black is (as a balck wire should be I guess) Negative and The green and white must be battery positive.

Anyone know how I can double check the unit to ensure its working?

#4 ·
Are you sure the wire is just red and white or does it have yellow marks as well? If so then someone has disconected the Kbus connection .
This goes to C0818 pin 7

The Pink/Purple wire is permanent live (the Green/White is switched live)
It goes to C0818 pin 9

C0818 is the big radio connector with round pins

#6 ·
extracting the round pins requires a special tool, you would be better off finding another way to do it if you still have the old radio you could connect to that which will hold the pins in place and solder the wires back on. The plastic holding the pins will probably melt but the radio should hold the pins steady till the plastic cools.
Or just go for a mechanical fit by wedging the tinned wire down the side of the pins, that will do to test it at least.

#7 ·
Thanks!!

Really annoyed with my rover dealer now.

I tried putting the wires into the new unit... nothing. My fault though maybe I failed to buy the correct one from ebay, even though it looks the same. I will try it again in a min....

Because reconnecting those two wires meant that it worked a treat! Damn dealer told me it wasn't that when I asked specifically! Robbing B*&£tger!!!

Luckily I work with engines e.t.c so I am going to go and get some wire and extend the loom a little with it because the current bits are a little too short. Then I will try and wedge the wire into pins!!

Total Star mate! I really cannot thank you enough!

#8 ·
ops!!!

Spoke too soon!!

Disconnected the unit, crimped a couple of expension wires onto the Kan and switched power lines then pushed on the connector and inserted them got them trapped nicely.

......... disaster. The entire system has no power. The Sat Nav / Radio in the drivers dash has no power. The sat nav unit in the boot also has no power.

Any ideas? One step forward.... two back! ops!

Charlie

#9 ·
I have just checked the fuses under the bonnet (with the relays) and also the 5Amp fuse in the back of the unit i have been working on. All OK.

I have also tried disconnecting totally the unit that just started working. Nothing.

So removing the unit I added does not seem to be the issue, as the centre console worked before when this unit was not in at all.

So are there any other fuses anywhere else I need to check? What else could be wrong?

Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.