MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought fox alloys the other day from a local garage. They had quite a bit of kerbing on them but I wasn't too bothered as the price was great!

Got them home and got to work on them, cleaned them up nice and good then started with the primer, then some nice silver paint and finished off with lacquer (several coats of everything).

They really looked great and I'd done a good job of disguising the scratches on them, along with a couple of minor chips.

2 problems though, first, in my eagerness to get them on, I didn't wait long enough for them to dry (I took them to another local garage to get tyres put on them etc.) - also what didn't help if the fact that it rained quite heavily.

Secondly is the fact that the silver spray paint I used turned out to be for indoor use only (don't ask, ok, well, it was chrome stuff I bought from homebase thinking it should be fine as it said suitable for use on all kinds of metal, and I knew I'd be coating them with lot's of lacquer anyway!).

As easy as it was to admit my stupidity, it doesn't quite draw me away from the fact that I now have 4 wheels on the car, that although look great and everything, could do with being sorted out a bit better, paint-wise.

I know a lot of people will suggest going to a company to get this done properly, but I simply don't have the funds to be doing this just now, I'm looking for a way that I can do it myself, spending just a matter of pounds - too much to hope?

I know that you're supposed to use spray paint for cars as it gets it even and stuff, but is there anyway I can do it without having to take the wheels off the car/cover up the whole car with masking tape and bin bags - ie can tinned paint be used.

Looking for suggestions here people, thanks :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
i wouldnt use tinned paint, you will get brush marks. Probably best to wait till you have the money to get them done properly. If you spray them while on the car,some where wind proof so not to get overspray all over the car, you will still get it all over the brakes and that wont be too good.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would a sponge work with tinned paint? :(

It's just I didn't want to put the wheels on till they were good, and also I really wanted to put them on cas I'd just got them (everyone's the same!) - and now I feel really unhappy when I look at them knowing they should've been done better...

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Now your getting blue peter ( or should i say green peter now?). If your looking to do it on a budget, get yourself to halfords and get some spray tins. You cant do it with a brush it will look a mess.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you have the time to do it, take one wheel off the car and put the spare in its place, completly mask the tyre off and do the work required on it. Then put the wheel back on and work your way around till they are all done. Its a very long way round but if you really want to do them on the cheap, its one idea.Personally i would just wait till ive saved enough to do them properly, they will look loads better in the end.

·
Registered
196 Posts
oi oi all

when i got rid of my motorbike i had 2 spray bottles of muckoff it is the nuts at cleaning alloys .

I am the next dictator of the uk :taz:

Download

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, think I'll just get someone to do it for me, as annoying as it is handing over loadsa money - what's a reasonable price for the job? Would I have to leave the car with them?

Thanks again :D

·
Registered
rover_75
86 Posts
Well unless you have four spare wheels or want to put it up on blocks I reckon yeah, you will have to leave the car with them. Maybe the idea of doing one wheel at once , using your spare would be the best. how long will it take to do one wheel , even if a weekend apiece, a month gets you sorted eh?

Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
sand the wheels using an everyday sander sands the scuffs off as well

rub vaseline on the tyre rim first make sure you dont get it on the alloy

prime wheels up paint them and laquer them leave them 24 hours to harden off

them rub the vaseline off the tyres and it removes the excess paint on the tyre wall

1 - 9 of 9 Posts