MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Camcon camless engine, common-rail diesel engine with the Indian tractor company, TF HPD hybrid drive.
I haven't heard anything about them recently. Are they actually doing anything with engine development right now?

Oh and add the Antonov gearbox under that list too.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
andy said:
Camcon camless engine, common-rail diesel engine with the Indian tractor company, TF HPD hybrid drive.
I haven't heard anything about them recently. Are they actually doing anything with engine development right now?

Oh and add the Antonov gearbox under that list too.
Andy, just because you don't hear anything doesn't mean there's nothing going on, what do you want, monthly status updates! :lol: ;)

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SteveChilds said:
Andy, just because you don't hear anything doesn't mean there's nothing going on, what do you want, monthly status updates! :lol: ;)
Of course! Who doesn't want monthly updates? :=p:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
As far as I'm concerned the diesel engine is late. I had it on good authority there'd be a Euro IV diesel engine before Christmas. I would have thought this would have been a common rail L-Series with particulate filter or whatever it is they need for Euro IV.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Euro IV only comes into effect Jan 06 - this is when it would need to be around for.

As for the Common Rail L Series.. I'd heard the same. But it depends if they're waiting for a stronger gearbox first I suppose - the PG1 is at the limit with the current L Series, any more torque and it wouldn't take it.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
SteveChilds said:
Euro IV only comes into effect Jan 06 - this is when it would need to be around for.

As for the Common Rail L Series.. I'd heard the same. But it depends if they're waiting for a stronger gearbox first I suppose - the PG1 is at the limit with the current L Series, any more torque and it wouldn't take it.
And you have to ask whether Rover will bother engineering agearbox to fit 25 and 45 when the new model, new engines and new future is so close.

I honestly don't expect a new engine in either the 25 or 45, I expect them all to come in new medium car.

(i'm only sayng that cos i'll cry if the 45 suddenly got a better diesel than mine! )

·
Registered
560 Posts
Are MGR still using those old japanese gearboxes? i had it in my head that they had started using a completely different one a couple of years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Mr_Censored said:
Are MGR still using those old japanese gearboxes? i had it in my head that they had started using a completely different one a couple of years ago.
They have their own, PG1 CLICK HERE gearbox manufactured by Powertrain and used in 25/45 and Streetwise and sold to a few 3rd parties too.

Not sure what 75 uses?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
cityrover said:
And you have to ask whether Rover will bother engineering agearbox to fit 25 and 45 when the new model, new engines and new future is so close.

I honestly don't expect a new engine in either the 25 or 45, I expect them all to come in new medium car.

Well, as of 1st January 2006 (less than a year away), all new cars have to have engines that conform to Euro IV regulations. Neither the current diesel nor the current K-series engines do conform.

Which means engine updates this year across the board.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
boxwellm said:
Well, as of 1st January 2006 (less than a year away), all new cars have to have engines that conform to Euro IV regulations. Neither the current diesel nor the current K-series engines do conform.

Which means engine updates this year across the board.
I wonder if this will make things better or worse though! It's possible the newer engines could be less powerful than the outgoing ones, certainly the diesels.

Going off what I've heard, Euro IV for diesels is not that good. Yes emissions are better but CO2 emissions are worse than the previous engines, because the engine has to work harder due to the extra filters. Mindyou if it reduces particulates it's got to be a good thing...

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr_Censored said:
The 75 uses a Japanese auto gearbox though, JATCO I think it is.
MG Rove did switched from R65 to a Getrag gearbox, but it is the PG1 gearbox that has root from the Honda-designed HX5MT unit.

More info here: http://www.powertrainltd.com/product/hist_k-series.htm

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was looking at a C-Max the other day and noticed the Euro IV had worse fuel consumption than the same model without Euro IV. I remember the same thing with the K series. It was developed as a lean burn engine and fitting a cat knocked the fuel consumption back a few miles per gallon. It must be said however, that cars today do produce a lot less pollution than my 1989 non cat MG 2.0i. I wonder how an early K engine would compare to a Euro IV on fuel consumption.

G

·
PEACE781 said:
Found this article about sonalika, says it's new car is powered by a 1900cc engine, i thought sonalika were going to use the new version of the L-series.Also says they tied up with renault for technological assistance when i thought they tied up with mg-rover for that.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20041206/biz.htm#3
That article does mention the Powertrain tie up. I don´t put much faith in newspaper type reports - they are usually full of pathetic inaccuracies, anyway.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Jez Hopkins said:
I was looking at a C-Max the other day and noticed the Euro IV had worse fuel consumption than the same model without Euro IV. I remember the same thing with the K series. It was developed as a lean burn engine and fitting a cat knocked the fuel consumption back a few miles per gallon. It must be said however, that cars today do produce a lot less pollution than my 1989 non cat MG 2.0i. I wonder how an early K engine would compare to a Euro IV on fuel consumption.
Yes, the use of Diesel Particulate Filters usually knock a few mpg off of the figures.

According to MG Rover in a recent newstory, the revisions to the K-Series are well advanced and almost finished. I wonder if they will rename the engine in order to put to bed the HGF issues with the K-Series.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Something is happening:

"
Camcon and Powertrain to present at SAE 2005 World Congress & Exhibition, Detroit - 12 April, 2005

Camcon and Powertrain will give presentation on Intelligent Valve Actuation (IVA) that enables development of camless engines.
3:45 p.m. 2005-01-0772
Intelligent Valve Actuation (IVA) System for Gasoline and Diesel Engines

Alan Warburton, Powertrain Ltd.;
Lain Fleming, James Scott, Neil Butler, Powertrain, Ltd.;
Wladslaw Wygnanski, Camcon Technology, Ltd.
"

http://www.sae.org/servlets/techSession?EVT_NAME=P12&GROUP_CD=TSESS&SCHED_NUM=126734&REQUEST_TYPE=SESSION_DETAILS

but will it be ready for the Euro IV Engine?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wonder if the delay in the common rail L series diesel is something to do with the injection system they are getting from Siemens. Their 3rd generation common rail will not be made available until 2006 model year cars, which I assume we have to wait for to see the new engine. If it is using this system it looks to be beyond current offerings with 1800 bar rail pressure and higher efficiency. I'm sure the information on the Siemens website also mentions not requiring a particulate filter to meet Euro IV.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Windy said:
Something is happening:

"
Camcon and Powertrain to present at SAE 2005 World Congress & Exhibition, Detroit - 12 April, 2005

Camcon and Powertrain will give presentation on Intelligent Valve Actuation (IVA) that enables development of camless engines.
3:45 p.m. 2005-01-0772
Intelligent Valve Actuation (IVA) System for Gasoline and Diesel Engines

Alan Warburton, Powertrain Ltd.;
Lain Fleming, James Scott, Neil Butler, Powertrain, Ltd.;
Wladslaw Wygnanski, Camcon Technology, Ltd.
"

http://www.sae.org/servlets/techSession?EVT_NAME=P12&GROUP_CD=TSESS&SCHED_NUM=126734&REQUEST_TYPE=SESSION_DETAILS

but will it be ready for the Euro IV Engine?
Doubt it Windy - the link up was only to produce a prototype engine.... I can't see it being productionised for a good few years yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts