MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
At my 75's three-year service at the main dealers on Monday, I asked them to check my air-con too, since I consider it 'cool' on maximum setting rather than 'cold'.

I leave mine set on 'LO' (both sides) normally with only the two vents pointing at the driver open. All others closed. I set it to 'recirculate' and with the 'fresh air' knob only letting in a little fresh air. The air direction is set to either just 'air vents' or 'vents and car' (if y'know what I mean). The fan is set to fairly slow, to let the air get a bit colder before it's blown out. The experts here may recommend other settings.

Anyway, the Rover dealer pronounced my system fit and well, passing up the chance to charge me £99 for regassing! So maybe these systems are just not that freezing in use. Even when car was new, I remember it would take 25 miles to really cool the interior on a really hot day.

Steve

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
7T5 said:
how cold should the aircon be? mines not icy cold but it is cold a lot of peeps on here say theres is icy cold. whats the best setting to have it on as i think i must be working mine wrong do i pit it on low or hit auto and leave it at 16? do i recurculate or use exterior air?
thx

I find the most comfortable setting all year round is 21 degrees Auto, the recirc will activate when necessary. I only change this setting to recirc manually when sitting in traffic to prevent heavy particulates from the vehicle in front being passed directly into the cabin. As with all these things you have free choice and plenty of it. :)

MM

·
Registered
rover_75
14 Posts
The owner manual recommends leaving it on Auto at 21º. Some points to consider

- does it need re-gassing - sounds like a possibility?
- does the cooling fan in front of the radiator run continuously when the air-conditioning is set to Auto?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
mmcomputing said:
I find the most comfortable setting all year round is 21 degrees Auto, the recirc will activate when necessary. I only change this setting to recirc manually when i FART to prevent heavy particulates from being passed around the cabin. As with all these things you have free choice and plenty of it. :)

MM
MM did we really need to know that ? :bgrin2:

i to have my set to 21 degress auto and with the rcirc on.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
to much blowing off in this thread :D

when i set mine to "Lo" it is really cold but dunno if it is icey cold :errx2:

Maybe what we shuld do is set a little test up for us all.

1. get a thermometer
2. set AC on to LO
3. place thermometer on top of centre conceal
4. drive about for 10 mins
5. post back thermometer readings

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
kandyman said:
to much blowing off in this thread :D

when i set mine to "Lo" it is really cold but dunno if it is icey cold :errx2:

Maybe what we shuld do is set a little test up for us all.

1. get a thermometer
2. set AC on to LO
3. place thermometer on top of centre conceal
4. drive about for 10 mins
5. post back thermometer readings

You really need to find yourself a hobby. :rotflmao:

MM

·
Registered
243 Posts
to get icy cold air....set both temps to low...recirculation on...both auto and econ switched off...set direction to face blowers...and speed no:3...if its really hot like today it will take a few minuites to get cold(you can help it along by opening windows for the first few minuites)...after that it should be really cold...and you will have to turn speed down to 1 or 2...wheather this is officially right or wrong i don't know ...but this works in my car

·
Registered
545 Posts
mmcomputing said:
I find the most comfortable setting all year round is 21 degrees Auto, the recirc will activate when necessary. I only change this setting to recirc manually when sitting in traffic to prevent heavy particulates from the vehicle in front being passed directly into the cabin. As with all these things you have free choice and plenty of it. :)

MM
My choice also. Use the auto and let it do its work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
One persons cool is another person's freezing is another person's not cold enough!

Have fun trying different settings until you find one that suits you.

Best wishes

Michael

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Mine makes me shiver once its done its thing!

On auto mode (in this weather) it will detect the internal temp of the car and if you set it to 'LO' it will automatically switch on the re-cric. This cant be disabled whilst on auto mode, and will stay on re-cric until the you put the temp up well into the mid 20s!

All vents open as Auto throws air through all of them apart from the footwells, and open the rear centre vent too. Mine cools a hot car down in minutes and then automatically puts the temp up to 16c which brings the fan speed down automatically!

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
7T5 said:
how cold should the aircon be? mines not icy cold but it is cold a lot of peeps on here say theres is icy cold. whats the best setting to have it on as i think i must be working mine wrong do i pit it on low or hit auto and leave it at 16? do i recurculate or use exterior air?
thx
I think the term "Icy Cold" get a bit to much use on Ebay

The maximum temperature drop the 75 heat exchanger works at is around 3-4 degrees which probably equates to about 9-11 degrees at the vents so dont expect frozen fingers if you dangle them at the vents

I find my ATC in my 75 does not have the raw cooling powerr and takes a lot longer to cool the car than the ATC in my Citroen Picasso that thing really does chuck out cold air and lots of it but then the Pic is a mobile greenhouse!

·
Registered
300 Posts
When I had my aircon regassed , the chap told me that the temp at the vent had been 11 deg C and was now 4 deg C . it is pretty cold ................

1 - 20 of 26 Posts