MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Rover 75 2.0 V6 Classic (2000) which has aircon. It seems to have a faulty recirculate button. When I press the button to switch the airflow to recirculate, the light comes on but the air still seems to be coming in from outside the car. The light then goes out after about 2 minutes. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but my aircon has started to smell and I used an aerosol disinfectant to sort it out. Problem is that since the recirculate isn't working properly the effectiveness of the spray is limited. Anyone know what I can do?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
Hi, what makes you think it's not working properly ?

I'm sure by default it switches back to "external" air after a few mins anyway.

The "internal" air is still passed through the aircon system so you might be still picking the smell up from there.

Erm, does this make sense !?

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
To be clear does your car have the air con system with circular knobs or the climate control system (electronic display and push buttons)? The info may help in getting the best advice.

Also is the horizontal wheel set in the centre of the main dash set to blue or white, as one of the settings delivers constant external air into your car regardless of any air con settings (wish I could remember whether it is the blue or white setting :banghead: )

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
Evening Mike.

Are you sure about that one ?

I thought it prevented hot air being blown in your face ?

Don't quote me on this though, it just rings a bell :)

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
RichK said:
Evening Mike.

Are you sure about that one ?

I thought it prevented hot air being blown in your face ?

Don't quote me on this though, it just rings a bell :)

Hi Rich. Yes I am sure, but I am now going to get my handbook out so I can also be sure about which colour does what! :lol:

I'll be back in a mo :) (noises off as he runs up the creaking stairway)

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
OK here's the full story from the handbook :cool:

page 48 section 4

' Recirculated air supply button

.......................................................If the air conditioning is switched on, air recirculation will remain active until fresh air is selected, or until the air con is switched off.

With air con switched off air recirculation will automatically switch off after 4 mniutes operation.......................To override this feature press and hold the recirculation button for two seonds ( until the light in the switch flashes)-but note that the function must then be switiched off manually'

(note this function to disable the air recirc auto off also works on the climate control set up)

In section 5 it says:

..................in addition, note that air recirculation is activated automatically whenever the air con is switched on as an aid to more efficient cooling of the car's interior.........

page 51

Heater bypass control

Air supply from the face level vents is further controlled by the heater bypass control in the centre of the fascia panel.................................towards the Blue spot to open the bypass...........towards the White spot to close the bypass..................................

If the air distribution control is set to foot, screen or window vents:

Heater bypass open(Blue)-unheated fresh air supply only

if the air distribution control is set to face or foot and face vents:

Heater bypass open (Blue)-a blend of heated and unheated air(which has bypassed the heater) providing a cooler output

Regards

Mike

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Phoenix126

From the above you will see that both the air con and climate control systems have an array of different options and settings any of which could explain the 'faults' you are observing. I'd strongly recommend getting hold of the correct (1999 edition) of the 75 handbook (they come up on ebay regularly) so that you can set the system up as you want it and know why it is doing what.

hth

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I will try holding the recirculate button for the required time and see if that makes a difference. The thing is, I drive to work through a tunnel every day and switch the recirculate on but can still smell exhaust fumes from outside the car - that's what makes me suspect that it isn't working.

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
RichK said:
Hi, what makes you think it's not working properly ?

I'm sure by default it switches back to "external" air after a few mins anyway.

The "internal" air is still passed through the aircon system so you might be still picking the smell up from there.

Erm, does this make sense !?
firstly like to point out i know nothing about the workings of R 75 air con

But on a zs the recirculate button stays on untill you press it again as does the light also the fan can be herd to speed up when it is pressed if this is so on a 75 does your fan speed up ?

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Phoenix126 said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I will try holding the recirculate button for the required time and see if that makes a difference. The thing is, I drive to work through a tunnel every day and switch the recirculate on but can still smell exhaust fumes from outside the car - that's what makes me suspect that it isn't working.
Check that your heater bypass isn't open (see above) because if it is then you will get the exhaust fumes coming into the car.

hth

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts