MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I aim to rigorously protect my 2003 mgtf against corrosion and know that one area is the sills. Reading around I see that various people have removed their air intakes and gained access / sight into the sills . Some have used this means to Waxoyl them. Now I am aware that the sills can fill with water and I had thought this mainly entered through the area just behind the front wheel arch at the end of the sill where a load of rubbish can build up. Long ago I glued a rubber sheet right across this. BUT I am now wondering – if you can access the sills from the Air intakes , could not a load of water get into the sills the same way? OR am I missing something?
Views most welcome

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,017 Posts
The sills do have drain holes, however; they are known to block which then causes the sills to rot, its not uncommon to see posts occasionally from people saying they hear "sloshing" of water when accelerating/braking...which is caused by the drain holes being blocked. a few links which may be of interest Water sloshing/Drain holes.. Waxoyl in Sills.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,672 Posts
It's not of course just the inside of the sills.

I stripped the paint off the bottom of my offside sill last year as I noticed the telltale random tracks of the tinworm under the paint. I stripped that sill back to bare metal on the underside of the sill but also had to strip some spots slightly higher up the sill). There were several blackish pitted rust patches maybe the size of a coin visible after stripping as well as smaller random pits. I stripped the rust off with muriatic acid (brick acid) soaked into kitchen paper (and applied to the desired areas like sticking plasters) as I have found that the normal phosphoric acid rust removers just don't seem to clear up the pitted rust spots back to bright metal.

Of course, muriatic (aka 30% hydrochloric acid) acid is more aggressive than phosphoric acid and eats away at good steel as well as the rust, so it's not a technique to overuse, but I do like to clear away all rust pitting. I have a 2004 TF which I protected the inside of the sills with ML Cavity Wax at least five years ago.

The sill rust was not anywhere near perforating the offside sill but these cars (if kept outside) WILL have at least some sill rusting even if you cannot see rust bubbles. To my eye there was nothing wrong with my sills until I bent down and had a really close look. Not sure how the rust starts as some of the tinworm tracks didn't seem to start or finish in a paint chip but sills have a tough life.

Got to do the nearside sill this autumn. Not looking forward to it as I don't have a pit or a car lift so it's tricky to get the car high enough to get a good working position for this kind of work, plus all the multiple coats of primer and sanding down in between is tedious...

·
Registered
208 Posts
I aim to rigorously protect my 2003 mgtf against corrosion and know that one area is the sills. Reading around I see that various people have removed their air intakes and gained access / sight into the sills . Some have used this means to Waxoyl them. Now I am aware that the sills can fill with water and I had thought this mainly entered through the area just behind the front wheel arch at the end of the sill where a load of rubbish can build up. Long ago I glued a rubber sheet right across this. BUT I am now wondering – if you can access the sills from the Air intakes , could not a load of water get into the sills the same way? OR am I missing something?
Views most welcome
I haven't noticed any sloshing noises with mine. I took out the bungs front and rear and applied cavity wax that way, also done inside the sub frames the front one had bungs missing so I made new ones. Before I fitted stainless coolant pipes I painted the underside of the car with underseal containing Waxoil, not an easy job lay on your back got as much on my hands/arms as the floor but easily cleans off with used chip frying oil (does the same on oil based paint) but a job worth doing. I also made a cover from aluminium sheet for the flywheel, it seems ok and probably better than the plastic ones that are for sale. Regards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts