MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

How can I check the refrigerant level in my VVC Coupe without taking it to a garage? I had a nose about in the engine bay but couldn't see where it is stored?

It just feels like it should be colder than it is - does it lose power as the level drops, or is it more of a clear on or off when it runs out? Not had air con before so not sure how it behaves!

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
There is no real way to tell. You can look in the reciver/dryier unit and that will have a sight glass. But the refridgent is not kept in a container it's kept in all the air con pipes and gubbins.

·
Registered
737 Posts
You really need someone who knows what there doing to check the level properly but theres a few checks you can do -
1. Find the sight glass then turn the air con on. Let it run for a minuite then check the sight glass, there should be no bubbles flowing through. If theres a steady stream of bubbles then it is short of gas OR your condenser may be blocked. You may get the odd bubble, but if it is quite constant then check the condensor/gas charge.
2. There are 2 pipes coming off of the compressor - discharge & suction.
The pipe running down to the condensor should hot. The other pipe coming from the bulkhead should be cold.
If not get the gas charge checked.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The sight glass is the reciver/drier. It should be mounted near one of the frotn wings. It will have the two pipes connected to it. Just follow them. They are big and silver. Follow them to you come to a round .locking thing, Thats it. Also the above is not strickly true. Each pipes does a diffrent thing, one is low pressure and the other high pressure.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Also the above is not strickly true. Each pipes does a diffrent thing, one is low pressure and the other high pressure.
I only gave a very basic guide for the guy to follow. I am a refrigeration engineer so I do know what's what.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts