MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent so many hours now reading threads of years gone by about remaps and ron's units for a diesel ZT.

I've only just got mine, a 135 but, i've always had the intention to give her a bit more of a bite. I think for me personally, im after more torque at the lower end. The pull is reasonable from about 1600rpm, starts to come to life about 1900rpm and lift off from 2200rpm. The mid-range is excellent yet, it seems a little flat at the top end. I'm not interested in the maximum power, just the bottom end improvement and possibly at the top end too.

So, after reading hundreds of postings on a range of threads, i'm even more confused than before. The remap seems good although ones like Upsolute have no graphs and then feedback on ron's units are pretty good in general.

However, the concern I have is this. I'm thinking the engine is a bit like a graphic equaliser attached to a stereo. Its no good turning everything up, yes, everything gets louder but, doesn't mean you can hear it better and i feel thats the same with the engine, turning everything up doesnt truly mean its significantly better. I want something thats going to be improved yet, smooth like she is now.

On the upside of this on a different note, i've done 500 miles in the car already and averaged 44.7mpg (tank measurement). Thats a mix of country lanes, town driving, motorway but, mostly a and b roads with speeds around 40-60. Got a 300 mile drive tomorrow so can't wait to enjoy her some more.

So, back to the point, any guidance, thoughts, feedback on the ron or remap issue would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
302 Posts
Hi mate i have had my car now for 5 months and i do about 1000 miles a week as its my taxi and i got my Ronbox about 4 weeks ago and i must say that its the best 140 squid i have ever had spent and i have spent a lot of money over the years tuning cars and nothing comes close to the Ronbox, mine is the 115 ps version and before it was pretty dead until 2k then went pretty well to about 3k and then the power just tailed off but now the torque kicks in at about 1600 revs and takes off at 2000 then keeps boosting to 4000 revs. the main thing for me was drivability as i do mainly a road and back lane driving and usualy between 50 and 90 mph (time is money) and i still get about 550 out of a full tank of fuel as you don't need to use the gears as once in top the torque is amazing, also my car has done nearly 140k and it still runs like new with hardly any smoke and thats on setting 7 and its as smooth as ever.
Overall just don't think about it get one you will love it.

·
Registered
rover_75
211 Posts
I went down the upsolute route in 2004 with my Rover 75 and was very happy with the performance increase over the standard 116bhp. This was before Rover ron's kit came out.

I cannot comment on Rover Ron's upgrade - but feedback from others seems good - I'd preference a software update over adding third party hardware into my engine bay generally but I'm still thinking about going down the dual-upgrade route - I believe some people have both?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your comments chaps. I may take the plunge in the near future.

As for the time being, i've given my new car a thorough service and made a few adjustments and she is running much quicker.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi Will, I am the same, Upsolute but hear big things about Ron. It would be interesting if there is some sort of dual upgrade asn by all accounts the MAF should be failing soon . .

·
Registered
rover_75
211 Posts
I've not touched my maf and my car is on 112k ... maybe I should have a look? Either its gradually killed my performance and I've not noticed, or I'm incredibly fortunate to have a MAF that's lasted the life of the car thus far without degrading.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I have spent so many hours now reading threads of years gone by about remaps and ron's units for a diesel ZT.

I've only just got mine, a 135 but, i've always had the intention to give her a bit more of a bite. I think for me personally, im after more torque at the lower end. The pull is reasonable from about 1600rpm, starts to come to life about 1900rpm and lift off from 2200rpm. The mid-range is excellent yet, it seems a little flat at the top end. I'm not interested in the maximum power, just the bottom end improvement and possibly at the top end too.

So, after reading hundreds of postings on a range of threads, i'm even more confused than before. The remap seems good although ones like Upsolute have no graphs and then feedback on ron's units are pretty good in general.

However, the concern I have is this. I'm thinking the engine is a bit like a graphic equaliser attached to a stereo. Its no good turning everything up, yes, everything gets louder but, doesn't mean you can hear it better and i feel thats the same with the engine, turning everything up doesnt truly mean its significantly better. I want something thats going to be improved yet, smooth like she is now.

On the upside of this on a different note, i've done 500 miles in the car already and averaged 44.7mpg (tank measurement). Thats a mix of country lanes, town driving, motorway but, mostly a and b roads with speeds around 40-60. Got a 300 mile drive tomorrow so can't wait to enjoy her some more.

So, back to the point, any guidance, thoughts, feedback on the ron or remap issue would be very much appreciated!
Airbox mod (free) first. Makes one hell of a difference and takes 15 minutes if the nuts are a PITA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.