MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have noticed over the last year or so there have been a number of people looking to retro-fit cruise control to their 75/ZT's.

The general concensus on these posts is that it is not possible to retro-fit the OE cruise, but I was wondering who has purchased one of the aftermarket systems, how well does it work? where did they get it fitted? how much did it cost? If you were to do it again would you do it differently? Plus any other information you might think may be of interest.

G

·
Not a 75 but............I have an aftermarket Rostra system which works very well on an 820. It came from a UK firm called easyCruise who I think are no longer trading but you can get them - there is a link to UK suppliers on www.rostra.com

It's an American system, was reasonably easy to fit and cost about £250

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
I had a conrad anderson ZT50 on my 45 - it was superb. I held the speed to +- 1mph uphill and down dale. Excellent for the £150 it cost.

I manged to fit the controls to the underside of the steering wheel spoke using some spare contacts on the slip rings so it was truly finger tip operation.

The most difficult part on a 75 is connecting the actutator to the throttle position sensor. On the 45 this is under the bonnet with good access.

On the 75 its above the acclerator pedal.

However, I removed the ZT50 from the 45 when I sold it and will have a go fitting it to the 75. I'll post details on my website and update this thread.

I also had to make a small interface to connect the speedo sensor to it, but this wasn't difficult or expensive.

There are details of my 45's installation here:

http://45zs.info/Cruise/cruise.htm

Watch this space...

Ron

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
ksilver said:
The general concensus on these posts is that it is not possible to retro-fit the OE cruise, but I was wondering who has purchased one of the aftermarket systems, how well does it work?
I am currently looking into the potential of retro-fitting cruise to my ZTT CDTi - which has a drive-by-wire throttle. This ought to make the task easier.

I need to order and purchase a workshop manual for the ZT and research the subject more thoroughly, but if I can figure out what is required to fit and make it work, I'll let you all know...

With luck, this ought to be a pretty straightforward task on the diesel - the petrol variants may be a little harder due to the mechanical throttle linkage?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Rob Bell said:
I am currently looking into the potential of retro-fitting cruise to my ZTT CDTi - which has a drive-by-wire throttle. This ought to make the task easier.

I need to order and purchase a workshop manual for the ZT and research the subject more thoroughly, but if I can figure out what is required to fit and make it work, I'll let you all know...

With luck, this ought to be a pretty straightforward task on the diesel - the petrol variants may be a little harder due to the mechanical throttle linkage?
An aftermarket one should dead easy on the petrol models due to the throttle being conventional.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I would think that you're right Ron. It's the OE item that will be harder to do - but there again, maybe that's straightforward too?

No one has attempted an OEM retrofit yet as far as I can see... should make for a challenging project! :)

·
Registered
rover_75
211 Posts
For the Rover 75 CDT(i) (Diesel/M47R) only -

The cleanest/best way to fit cruise control would be to fit the retrofit the OEM kit. I did quite a bit of research on this a year ago, but the biggest stumbling block was - I couldn't determine if the wiring harness was present for the cruise interface unit that sits behind the passenger fascia.

So in theory it should be possible to retrofit the OEM Cruise Control because the actual functionality is in the DDE 4.0 ECU as it controls the injector pulse widths (because its fly by wire).

See this thread from 2005

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Will said:
For the Rover 75 CDT(i) (Diesel/M47R) only -

The cleanest/best way to fit cruise control would be to fit the retrofit the OEM kit. I did quite a bit of research on this a year ago, but the biggest stumbling block was - I couldn't determine if the wiring harness was present for the cruise interface unit that sits behind the passenger fascia.

So in theory it should be possible to retrofit the OEM Cruise Control because the actual functionality is in the DDE 4.0 ECU as it controls the injector pulse widths (because its fly by wire).

See this thread from 2005

Getting hold of the kit would be the main stumbling block, though a breakers yard might be a source.

·
Registered
rover_75
211 Posts
Rob Bell said:
Whereabouts behind the p/side fascia does the interface unit sit Will?
The unit sits next to the Body Control Unit (BCU), you can get to the area by removing the glovebox and the left hand airvent fascia.

·
Registered
rover_75
211 Posts
Rover_ron said:
Getting hold of the kit would be the main stumbling block, though a breakers yard might be a source.
Yeah, breakers was my first thought, but I'd really need to find one nearby so I could go and investigate how it's installed for myself.

The other option is XPart, but that doesn't help with understanding how its fitted.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Thanks Will - I may have a look when I remove the current dash and replace it with a 'monogrammed' body colour version.

Have you any directions on how to remove the glove box?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts