MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search of the forum but can't find a thread on this point.

I've had the car for 4 months now and love it with the sole exception of the steering wheel, which is bog awful and I would dearly like to change it.

Now I know that wooden rim Rover wheels are available but they are both scarce and expensive. My question is, has anyone come across a source of after market steering wheels, in particular woooden wheels? Companies like Momo and others used to do a whole range of good quality wheels for many different cars and it would be nice to change what, to me, is the only ugly part of the vehicle.

Rob

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Good Question Barryboy, i to want to change the wheel but have got my heart set on the wooden one, so i'm saving up :)

But i would be interested to see what this thread throws up

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
I doubt that it is as simple as putting on a non-OEM wheel because of the 75's electronic systems such as the airbag/SRS, wheel controls, roatary coupler. etc.

I've not heard of an aftermarket wheel being put on a 75. It'll be interesting to see if one has.

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
300 Posts
You would need an appropriate steering wheel boss for the new wheel and I doubt any were ever made for Rover 75s. You would have to tell your insurance company that you have done away with the driver's airbag, thus reducing the passive safety ability of the car.

I had a Rover 600 without steering wheel airbag and I fitted a Moto Lita wooden steering wheel but the boss which was supposed to fit Honda Accords and Rover 600s wouldn't cancel the indicators and didn't look that good either. The short answer is save up for a Rover wood wheel I'm afraid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts