MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi im after a bit of help i seem to have destroyed my car

the car in my mind had a prob with the vis valves at the surge of power came in at 4k

so while the sun was out i checked the drains and though ill take the valves off and see if the motors etc were siezed

i unscrewed the 4 screws in the top one unseated motor , look ed vave though hmm no idea screwed it back again , on the 2nd (the one with the platic flap on the left of the manifold , i unscrewed the motor and pulled the flap out cleaned the gunnk off of it and reseated everyting in the middle of all this i had a call so got distracted so i out all together best i knew , now i didnt in any of this alter the motors etc in case i knocked anyting out of alignment

no the trouble is , the car wil start on its own , but the min the throttle is tapped tha engine just stops or ill start it , the car will idle tehn just shut off , so my question is , what have i done !!! lol , its tehre a reset i need to do ????? pease help !! the sun has taken what was left of my thought process for today im sure its simple . for example i might haev messed the plastic valve around etc but i just cant think any ideas

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
If you put the butterfly valve in set open when it should be shut then this might be the problem. iirc it should be shut i.e. not a cross, when at rest.

good luck

Mike :)

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ta mike will check in the moring im sure i put it closed , but it seems to have 2 stages of clsed , really cosed or closed but slightly open if that makes sense , will check tomorrow , theres a moral to this , only let dr dave or lates do jobs on your car lol

·
Registered
mg_zs
55 Posts
The valve flap shaft isn't square, so it shouldn't fit the wrong way. Did you make sure the VIS motor rubber seals were in place before refitting them?

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
most odd got all ready to sort it today , went out to the car and some pixies during the night seem to have come and sorted it , all fine on the 10 mile test , nmost odd but am now convinced sometings up as the power surge is at 4k and there is a slight metalic rattle on idle , o well any one now of some good warrentie companies ??

still cant stop smiling when driving yet

·
Registered
300 Posts
You mentioned having 2 stages of closed . is this because the flap goes very tight as it meets the frame ? Mine was like that , to the extent that if it really shut i was sure it would be jammed . Plastic does distort with heat and oil . i just shaved the edges ever so lightly with a knife so that it closed smoothly , and it now pulls much more smoothly at low revs . Beautiful !
incidentally , after refitting the new motors I got a ticking noise which I didn't have before ! I loosened the motors off and tightened them up again , and the tick has vanished . All is lovely ................

1 - 6 of 6 Posts