MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After being asked by a member a while ago whether it was worth putting some 12 year old aerosols of genuine Rover paint on ebay,I looked into the shelf life of the type of paint commonly sold as genuine.
2 years (3 tops) seems to be the general opinion.
After which the contents may be unstable and off colour,among other things.

Which then led me to thinking,MGR went in 2005,it's now 2009,doesnt this mean remaining stocks being sold on are now past their prime?

Maybe a little man stayed on spooning the leftover paint into aerosols?

It also seems a lot of people dont get where you get paint!

My advice to all you kiddiwinks looking for aerosols is to get a custom one made at a paint factors,perhaps even matched to your car?

As for touch-up paint,i'm looking into the possibility of supplying soon.

Just a random thought,which I thought i'd share ;)

you never know,I may be wrong and some factor or related company continued production,but saying oh its genuine it'll match perfect is wrong.

·
Never forgotten
16,723 Posts
Not sure what the exact colour match was like, but I've used cans that were so old that they had gone rusty and the results seemed to be fine.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what the exact colour match was like, but I've used cans that were so old that they had gone rusty and the results seemed to be fine.

Lol I bet if you found tinned goods in a 60's nuke shelter you'd eat em too :p

I have used old stuff myself at times,(not just aerosol paint) A particular case where an employer didnt heed my warning re out of date paint components with a quality product and insisted I used it up.I dont know if the door shuts ever dried on that car as it was still soft weeks later. :p

My point I suppose is .... a lot of places sell these "Genuine" aerosols,often to be found on ebay or dealer clear outs.
If it was food say,would you still be happy paying top money for a possibly iffy product??? In fact the price is higher than when they were made in a lot of cases!
It would also be a clearance bargain,not full price!

·
Registered
350 Posts
The paint in the can changes colour? How?

The paint on the car does change colour? The sun ! and weather generally.

Lifetime of spray paint is limited by the effectiveness of the propellant imo.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The paint in the can changes colour? How?

The paint on the car does change colour? The sun ! and weather generally.

Lifetime of spray paint is limited by the effectiveness of the propellant imo.

The shelf life of some of the component tinters is actually shorter than others I believe (in paint of the era),so depends on the colours involved in the making as to the likelihood.

I can remember a Deltron verdant yellow that "went off" on a scheme at one place,this caused any colour to have it in to be out,other tinters actually seperate with age in some cases.

I can see how having it thinned and pressurised in a can may extend the life by a bit,but I would beware of old greens and bright reds/yellows.

TBH the size cans the genuines are,arent going to spray much and the spray fan/pattern/pressure is feeble compared to a quality custom made can for example,some of which will apply paint as reasonably as by gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bit of a thread resurrection here but I think it's always better to do this than start new if a discussion has already been started, however long ago.

I've recently bought a TF 80th in Goodwood Green. Common issue of a little rust on the wheel arches, as I also had and painted on my previous Starlight Silver TF. Have ordered some paint from Rimmer's without really thinking about it and it's genuine MG Rover stock, so at least 15 years old. There seems to be mixed opinion in the thread above, which is itself 11 years old!

I wonder if anybody has any thoughts, use it or not use it? It's a fairly inconspicuous area and obviously the 'join' to the bottom of the door is a 90 degree angle, so the possibility of a slightly off colour match isn't a major issue, but I wonder if there is any 'chemical' reason not to use it?

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,163 Posts
Bit of a thread resurrection here but I think it's always better to do this than start new if a discussion has already been started, however long ago.
Much better to start your own thread - when thread resurrections occur other people often start reading at the beginning of the thread having not noticed that it is a 'thread from the dead', and get a little cheesed off when they realise having waded through most of the old posts. They then are unlikely to give much of a helpful response to the new query. Yet others may not notice at all, and reply to a years old post, and not notice your new one (which then gets missed altogether by subsequent visitors).

...Goodwood Green....Have ordered some paint from Rimmer's
I don't think you have - genuine XPart/MG Rover stock of both touch up and aerosols of Goodwood Green (and Aquamarine, which is the same colour/paint code and was the name used for HQM on the 80th TF) have been unavailable for at least 6 or 7 years to my knowledge.

I have a ZR in HQM, and still have part of an aerosol of the genuine paint from when it was still available, but when I have tried it recently I have had trouble getting it anywhere near a match, no matter how carefully I apply it, so whilst it is OK for inconspicuous areas, it probably won't be useful to get a good repair anywhere that shows.

Your best bet is to get some from a vehicle paint factor who is equipped to match your colour from the colour on the car, rather than simply mix it to the paint code (I haven't had much luck finding a commercially available recipe that matches - I've actually seen the HQM swatches for both Lechler and Nexa, and neither match HQM, although the Nexa mix isn't massively far away, so I think it is the spec that is wrong on aftermarket paint systems, not inaccuracy in the way my samples of paint were mixed. .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks very much for the information and I’ll start a new thread next time. I’ll have a think about what to use, your point makes sense but for the inside of a wheel arch the colour might be good enough.

As to whether it’s genuine MG Rover I can’t profess to be a rattle can expert but it looks genuine enough, says MG Rover Group, Longbridge:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts