MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, picking up MGF tonight it has 40k on the clock on a 96 plate the current owner saying the cam belts have not been replaced. Is this something you would recommend I do immediately and whilst getting that done get the cylinder Head gasket done at the same time?
If you all say yes any idea how much I should be looking to pay.

Many thanks once again.
Rob

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
have you put a deposit down on it?

sit down, get a cup of tea ready and i'l have a look at how much a belt change is.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
If it 'aint broke, don't fix it. The head gasket that is. If the cam belt is origional and 11 years old it is living on borrowed time. Get the belts done ASAP, or even sooner, whatever it costs.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
11 year old cambelts :eek:mg:

Get the cost of the replacement knocked off the price of the car.

they will go snap any time.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Whats the rest of the service history like? given that the belt change at 5 years or 60k (ie, should have been done in 2001!) is one of the most important things to get done?

Chris

·
Registered
mgf
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys....can't get my deposit back the rest of the service history looks OK although no book just receipts. If there is such people when it comes to selling cars, the people I am buying it off seem to be a straight mature couple as I am, i mean mature!
I am sitting down empsburner with a very strong cuppa with plenty of sugar in it!!
Thanks again Guys for the advice
Regards
Rob

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
a 5year/60k mile service (which is when the belts should have been done :err:) won't get you and change from £500. more if it is a vvc (a second belt) That includes plugs/filters/oil/coolant etc

not sure if they will change the waterpump too.

·
Registered
mgf
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wooooops that hurt, more sugar in tea I think!! ah well I'm sure I'll get the pleasure out of it. I am in Nantwich/Crewe area Cheshire. Thanks all for the help Guys, this is a terrifically helpful forum.

Regards
Rob

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Make sure you haggle on price - take a print out of the forum with you!

good luck with the purchase, hope you have lots of trouble free miles.

if you think we have saved you £12 have a look HERE for info on how to support the forum.

·
Registered
mgf
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Managed to find a local two man garage with a good rep around here to do the cam belt plus the 60k service for £320 all in....so hopefully happy days.

rob

·
Registered
439 Posts
Managed to find a local two man garage with a good rep around here to do the cam belt plus the 60k service for £320 all in....so hopefully happy days.

rob
G'day, welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you got sorted and for a reasonalbe price!

If these chaps at the garage do a good job, post where everyone can find em, always good to have good garages in different areas to choose from!

Gerf

·
Registered
mgf
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers Guys....picked the car up anyway. Taking it into these Guys on Monday so will let you know the outcome.

Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi - I'm in Sandbach & just bought a TF, picked it up Friday. Would be interested to know how you get on at the garage & how good they are. By the way have you bought the purply coloured car that was for sale from near to the college at Crewe Green? If so it looks nice & well cared for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts