MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a 16 V 1.8 steptronic MG (u know the "semi auto) and the MPG is pretty rubbish, can i have any suggestions of ways to help improve it..taking into account i mainly drive around town (which i know doesnt help) is low MPG a problem a lot of poeople have with this car???

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You have a 1.8, you have steptronic, and you do town driving. Your MPG isn't going to be great. What MPG have you got now? How old is the car? The official figure from MGR was 24.5MPG for urban driving, but we all know to take those figures with a pinch of salt.

Best way to get the most accurate figure:
1. Fill the tank to the first click on pump, and reset your trip clock.
2. Drive around as normal until you are down to about 1/4 tank.
3. Go to the same station, same pump, facing same way, and fill up to the first click again. Note the number of litres and your miles on trip clock.
4. Take 1 gallon = 4.55L and work out your MPG from that.

Rich.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You have a 1.8, you have steptronic, and you do town driving. Your MPG isn't going to be great. What MPG have you got now? How old is the car? The official figure from MGR was 24.5MPG for urban driving, but we all know to take those figures with a pinch of salt.

Best way to get the most accurate figure:
1. Fill the tank to the first click on pump, and reset your trip clock.
2. Drive around as normal until you are down to about 1/4 tank.
3. Go to the same station, same pump, facing same way, and fill up to the first click again. Note the number of litres and your miles on trip clock.
4. Take 1 gallon = 4.55L and work out your MPG from that.

Rich.
Thats some good advice m8! These fuel gages are dodgy, but this way u get around them:)
I never know hom much fuel exactly i have, but until now, ive never run out...but the needle has been below the red a few times:D

PS: i have a 1.4 dohc (75hp) rover 200 and i get about 100km for 10liters of fuel when driving in the city, but keep in mind that my right foot is real heavy:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a 25 1.8 Steptronic, and find the mpg very good.

I get up to 36/37 on long journeys, average around 31/32 with a mixture of town and dual carriageway driving, but I regularly boot it on the dual carriageways so this figure could be better.

Constantly round town I would expect it to be a bit lower, I reckon I could get about 26/27 around town.

Tips for better mpg:
- Check tyre pressures
- Don't carry un-neccessary loads
- Service the car regularly
- Don't excessively accelerate/brake

Also a tip for driving the steptronic, be careful how far you push the pedal down when keeping a constant speed, the further down you push it the more fuel used, but you will find by playing with it that you can lightly press the accelerator and still maintain the same speed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hard acceleration followed by hard braking (typical boy-racer stye town drivng) will use twice as much fuel and wear your brakes out quicker than gentle acceleration and gentle breaking.. its good for the odd rear end shunt at roundabouts and lights as well..

fiteen years of urban taxi driving teaches u some things.. i developed the habit of coasting up to things.. missing the down change part of urban driving completely.. just get up to whatever speed is needed to reach the next set of lights.. drop into nuetral and coast up to things then pop the box into whatever gear is needed to pull away.. technically illegal but it works..

trog

ps.. course if i was to take a modern driving test i would fail absymally.. he he

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
drop into nuetral and coast up to things then pop the box into whatever gear is needed to pull away.. technically illegal but it works..
That is illegal, and it is proven that this does not save fuel. You use more fuel in neutral and coasting than you do by leaving it in gear with no throttle applied.

Rich.

·
Registered
211 Posts
More fuel or the same fuel?
More. With most modern engines (past 5-10 years) when coasting whilst still in gear little, if any, fuel is used (just about the only good thing to come out of having so many computer chips in the modern car).

When in neutral, the engine needs to use fuel to maintain tickover and keep from stalling.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Nopr, I'm not quite sure how it works, but I know that Ibanez is correct. Coasting uses more fuel and you do not have full control of the car. Even just putting the clutch down you have less steering and brake control - coasting is just stupid.

~ And that's coming from a 17 year old driver.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
if you take your foot off the throttle and the engine is above 1600rpm in gear the ecu will stop injecting fuel completely.

if the revs drop below 1600 rpm or you touch the throttle fuel will reinject.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i think a modern ecu controled system is supposed to fully cut off the fuel supply during the over-run.. older carb systems or none ecu controled injection systems pull in an over rich mixture and do the opposite thow..

most of my "bad" habits were learned long ago.. old habits die hard.. he he

the no coasting rule again goes back a long way.. it wasnt about control of the car.. it was about ancient rod operated drum brakes that didnt work that well.. engine braking was considered essential to help the old brakes.. believe it or not brakes did fail on a regular basis.. hence the no coasting rule..

but going from fifth to fourth to third to second every time u stop sure makes hard work of things when u are doing it all day and every day.. it puts an awfull lot of extra wear on the clutch/transmission system as well when u cover lots of city miles..

i justify my bad habits by having driven over a million miles over a forty year time period without anything i would call an accident or an insurance claim against me or on my insurance..

i am just over sixty years ancient by the way.. its amazing what i must have forgotten during the 43 years or so since i was 17..

dont let me teach anyone "bad" habits thow.. it would never do.. he he

trog

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
On this subject my MK2 ZR 105 56 plate seems pretty economical it the 1.4 103ps and with 7500 on the clock. I recently took it on a 200 mile journey mainly motorway and my average speed was over 70 constantly and like many seem to do these days on the M6 toll road I stretched it's legs for the length of the road. First time too I had opened it up - how fast for a 1.4 !!!! anyway overall I got 39mpg which considering where the rev counter was sitting is not bad. Any way whatever you try to do on this subject with fuel economy ultimately the ecu is king and that will control your fuel usage nothing else.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
More fuel or the same fuel?
More.

if you take your foot off the throttle and the engine is above 1600rpm in gear the ecu will stop injecting fuel completely.

if the revs drop below 1600 rpm or you touch the throttle fuel will reinject.
That's about right. It can be proven by looking at any MPG gauge. It will eithe read 0MPG or go really high to some stupid number.

i think a modern ecu controled system is supposed to fully cut off the fuel supply during the over-run.. older carb systems or none ecu controled injection systems pull in an over rich mixture and do the opposite thow..
Yeah, I was referring to the modern ECU controlled systems, and given that's what the vast majority of people drive, it's more economical not to coast

but going from fifth to fourth to third to second every time u stop sure makes hard work of things when u are doing it all day and every day.. it puts an awfull lot of extra wear on the clutch/transmission system as well when u cover lots of city miles..
This is true. The IAM advises you that doing this will increase the wear on expensive components (i.e. cluth/gearbox) and it's better to just apply the brakes. This increases the wear on the brakes, but they are cheaper to replace. I didn't really mean that anyway, but more like just leaving it in gear, and just changing down when anticipating the next move.

Rich.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
This is true. The IAM advises you that doing this will increase the wear on expensive components (i.e. cluth/gearbox) and it's better to just apply the brakes. This increases the wear on the brakes, but they are cheaper to replace. I didn't really mean that anyway, but more like just leaving it in gear, and just changing down when anticipating the next move.

Rich.
Can also 'block change' i.e 5th to 3rd/3rd to 5th etc

I was taught this from my driving instructor many years ago, and also by my HGV instructor.

Cheers
Skelo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts