MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to buy a car that’s not only reliable as a daily, but I can work on with cosmetic and performance upgrades. I’ve never owned a Rover and know next to nothing about them, but this one caught my eye and I think I’m in love.

I just need advise on whether you think it’s worth buying and if so, what you would recommend needing replaced etc.

• 53k mileage
  • It’s been sat in a garage since 2011.
  • Some rust on one of the back wheel arches but other than that it’s really good condition.
  • He’s put in a new alternator, alternator belt and battery, flushed the engine and put new anti freeze in. Says it starts and runs fine.
  • £1k is what he’s asking

I’ll have about £2-3k after purchase for any work needing done and some mods etc.

What do you think? And if you think it’s a good deal, what mods would you advise me to do initially?

· Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
203 Posts
I agree with comments above by Sardine & Le Rich, but it is difficult to give proper advice without knowing more about your circumstances: Do you have experience of maintaining/servicing cars or motorbikes?
Do you have access to (ideally) a garage, or at least an off-road area where you can do work on a car?

My first thought, given that you said:
  • He’s put in a new alternator, alternator belt and battery, flushed the engine and put new anti freeze in. Says it starts and runs fine.
  • £1k is what he’s asking
1. Why has he changed the coolant, but no mention of changing engine oil, transmission oil and brake fluid. As LeRich says, ALL of those should be changed after a car has been sitting in a garage for 12 years. Changing coolant & flushing sounds suspiciously like an attempt to hide the first signs of head gasket failure!

I would start by asking for an MOT to be included in the price. If you are really in love with the car, offer to initially pay ONLY the cost of an MOT at a garage YOU trust. You can then legally drive a car to a PRE-BOOKED MOT, provided you have insurance. If it passes without advisories, you then pay him the agreed price, if it fails, OR shows more signs of HGF on the journey, a very different price, based on how much needs to be done and how comfortable/capable you are of do the required work. I have a friend who had to get a head gasket replaced on a Rover 25 (very similar engine). It cost £883 to get that work done at a garage. You can soon find out how much 4 new tyres + changing oils etc will cost you, assuming the the head gasket is O.K.

Whatever you decide, good luck with finding a daily driver, and I hope you find a well cared for Classic!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts