MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 75 needs 2 new tyres shortly and I may have an option (if compatable) that will cost me little money. I recently purchased 2 new (good quality) tyres for an Audi A4 which have not been used. I am wondering if these can be used on the Rover 75.......

The 4 tyres now on the 75 are: 205/65 R15 94V
The 2 tyres available that i could use if compatible are: 195/65 R15 91H

I thought only the R15 or (R16) mattered but I am now not sure........can the 195/65 R15 91H be used to replace those on the Rover 75 (205/65 R15 94V)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
No problem,in fact later 75's came with 195/65 as standard due to cut cost...you speedometer will be slightly faster[3%].

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you I think I understand, just to clarify...... it does not matter if i replace only 2?, therefore then having 2 slightly different tyres on the front compared to the back?......

and if so does it matter whethet i pu them on the front or back?......its the back to that need changing

again many thanks for your help/knowledge

james

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
No, as long as the same tyre is on the same axle. (both rear of both front) as opposed to both left or both right (leaving a 205 on one side) you can have them either on the front or on the rear. If it was me, I'd bring the front tyres to the back and put the new tyres on the front as the backs will be slightly wider aiding stability in corners

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
You can fit them yes, after the change, at 70mph, (if you put them on the front) the speedo will read 68.59mph. SO no problem with getting caught for speeding as you are reading slower.http://www.tyresite.com/tyrecalc.asp Have a look at this link, it will tell you the difference.
The speedometer will read FASTER with smaller tyres,not slower[Actual speed 70 Mph,speedo reading 72 Mph]

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
Thanks to both of you I think I understand, just to clarify...... it does not matter if i replace only 2?, therefore then having 2 slightly different tyres on the front compared to the back?......

and if so does it matter whethet i pu them on the front or back?......its the back to that need changing

again many thanks for your help/knowledge

james
The best replace all 4 tyres,no problem,but putting 195/65 on behind,& 205/65 on the front,the car 'look' weird.!You should put the bigger tyres behind,looks better.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
Finally putting diffrence size tyres between the front & rear may affect the ABS,because during heavy braking,the ABS 'may' sense the rear wheels turning 'slower' hence release the brake force on the rear wheels,thus......may have longer braking distance.!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
You should not mix tyres of different widths.

The speedo will over read is they are fitted to the front but more importantly, have an accident and your insurers may blame the fitting of different widths as a contributory factor. (causing excessive under steer (if on the front) or oversteer if on the rear)

Apart from which, do you want the handling to be affected?

You can buy some very decent reasonably priced tyres in the form of Hankook k105s which I use on my 75 (205/55x16) and they are a great all round tyre. They are quiet and comfortable as well.

Ron

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should not mix tyres of different widths.

The speedo will over read is they are fitted to the front but more importantly, have an accident and your insurers may blame the fitting of different widths as a contributory factor. (causing excessive under steer (if on the front) or oversteer if on the rear)

Apart from which, do you want the handling to be affected?

You can buy some very decent reasonably priced tyres in the form of Hankook k105s which I use on my 75 (205/55x16) and they are a great all round tyre. They are quiet and comfortable as well.

Ron
Was almost fitting these tyres based on the advice above......now i am pondering again........any other opinions?........altho what ron has said makes a lot of sense to me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts