MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have an 03 TF which has just had a new engine fitted (thankfully - under warranty) - the auxillary drive belt went last weekend and knocked off the camm belt, damaging all 16 valves and pistons. Rather than repair it, MG sent the dealer a new engine - The car's only done 28,000 miles!

My question is - the warranty will run out April 05 - by which time, I may have done about 10,000 miles max..... the dealer says they doubt the dealer will extend the warranty to cover the new engine for 60,000 miles/3 years from now - I think they should...what if it happens again, what if something else happens whilst the engine is under 3 years old? The dealer says MG may take that into consideration if it did happen again outside the warranty, but won't guarantee it. Has anyone else been in this situation? - should I push for something in writing? Am I likely to get anything in writing? Should I talk directly to MG rather than the local dealer?

Help needed please, so all advice appreciated.

Kazza

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
You will get the statutory 1 year warranty on the new part (I think it's statutory right but not sure), nothing more nothing less. Manufacturers do not HAVE to provide a 3 year warranty by law so they have no obligation to extend a warranty any further than they legally have to for the new part.

If you are worried buy an extended warranty when your existing warranty runs out.

·
Registered
mg_tf
149 Posts
i think you'll find that the warranty covers the car for three years or 60000 miles it does not matter how many engines you have in that time the warranty still only covers the car for 3 years or 60 tho. you dont get a new warranty with every engine

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
either pay for an excess warrenty or take out extra protection with teh aa or whatever just so your sorted incase it does happen again! maybe mgr wll give you a reduced rate for extended warrenty given there current situation im sure you could do a bit a haggling with em on a price!

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
1st year warrantee is provided by the manufacturer (statutory law).

2nd & 3rd year warrantee is provided by a 3rd party (warrantee company).

In your situation i would say that the new engine has a 1 year warrantee on it (from the manufacturer), but unless you want to take out your own cover, this will be all it is covered for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK - well - looks like it's a 1 year warranty on the new engine and when that's up I'll either cross fingers/buy an extended warranty then! Thanks all for the advice.
Kazza

·
Registered
mg_tf
323 Posts
Scarlet Fever said:
1st year warrantee is provided by the manufacturer (statutory law).
I think you'll find that the first year maunfacturer's warranty is in addition to your statutory rights, rather than something they must provide. You can also make a claim under the Sale of Goods Act for faulty items up to 6 years after you buy them!

From Hull Trading Standards:
'There is no duty on a manufacturer or retailer to provide guarantees on goods and services. Any free guarantees (sometimes called Warranties) are given either at the manufacturer's or retailer's discretion. If given they :

• Will be legally binding on the person offering it
  • Will have to be written in plain English
  • Must be available for viewing before purchase
  • Must state that they do not affect the consumer's legal rights
If a manufacturer reneged on a free guarantee the consumer could enforce it in the Small Claims Court. The retailer would not be involved. It is important to remember that because the provision of goods and services comes within the law of contract, your statutory rights last for 6 years.'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts