MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have made a mistake when washing my car. Car soap burnt through the clear coat on the hood and rooftop leaving unprotected spots of color layer (50mm - 80mm wide).

How would you advise on restoring clear coat there?
Would covering around the spots and spraying + polishing work? Or there is a more suitable technique?

On the other forum I was advised to leave it to the pros. :err:

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,163 Posts
To get a perfect or near perfect repair, having a professional full respray of the affected panels will probably be the only satisfactory solution.

You could try a smart repairer (such as chips away), but would probably be fairly expensive if there are a lot to do.

If you are prepared to accept a less than perfect finish, you could try carefully touching in the damaged spots with new clearcoat (building it up in thin layers until it matches the level of the existing clear), and then carefully flat it back with 'wet or dry' abrasive paper used wet (probably start with something like 800 or 1000 grit, and working down to 2000 or 2500 grit), and then polish up with a rubbing compound (such as G10 or a scratch remover compound).

You will almost certainly be able to still see the damaged areas on close inspection - recoating where clearcoat has been lost always shows a slightly different colour from the original, but they shouldn't be as obvious as they are without any clear, and will be protected by the new clear.

What did you use to cause such damage; I don't know of any proper car shampoo which would cause that kind of damage?

·
Registered
mg_zs
597 Posts
To do a self repair you need to just get a 2000+ grit sand paper and carefully sand down the edges of the clear coat until it's even.

Try to avoid sanding the actual paint, and then simply do a light dusting over the top with a can of clear coat before a more solid coat to even the paintwork out.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Whatever were you washing it with?!

·
Registered
mg_zr
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whatever were you washing it with?!
To do a self repair you need to just get a 2000+ grit sand paper and carefully sand down the edges of the clear coat until it's even.

Try to avoid sanding the actual paint, and then simply do a light dusting over the top with a can of clear coat before a more solid coat to even the paintwork out.
Amway car wash soap. (Too)high concetration + exposure to sun :err: maybe was enough.

Thanks for replies, will try self repair first. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts