MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mine's a Mk1 MGF I only have 2 speakers which is fine most of the time however with the roof off you just can't hear them over the wind noise.

I'm going to get some 6.5" speakers to replace the standard ones but was wondering if anyone had managed to fit some additional 4" speakers up front like in my (poor) Photoshop pic.

I know I could get the later T bar and speakers etc. but it seems like a lot of hassle when this might be an easy solution for a bit more volume.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean fitting some speakers to my T bar or getting a later model T bar with the speaker holes already in?

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
I don't know enough about it, you can probab;y get a cage to hold them, i'd have a search for t-bar speakers and see what comes up, should be quite a few threads. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey buddy, i`m a complete noob when it comes to MGF specifics, only got mine last Tuesday, 1996 VVC. But i am mad into car audio and ICE in all my previous cars.

Clearly with it being a 2 seater you haven`t got your standard parcel shelf for 6x9 therefore it all related to the T bar and what you can fit in that!

I am currently getting my head around it all and planning my attack. This post i made a few days ago should clarify a few things for you:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=185940

There are two main options:
1) buy a new Tbar with speaker grills and buy a speaker pod to hold the speakers
2) DIY and simply cut and mount the speakers in the Tbar!

Now for the price, as far as I can see for the cost and neatness i am 95% sure i`m going for a new tbar and pod (£75 ish second hand off ebay).
Eventually gonna go for a sub behind the passanger seat.

I may be totally totally off the mark but another speaker active/amplified or not in the front card in my opinion isn`t the way to go...! Especially since you complain about the volume with the hood down, i can imagine the sound should be coming from behind you.

I`m sure there are guys on here with much more experience with MGF ICE mods so sorry if i am wrong!

Chris

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
I think those speakers might foul the window mechanism if you are not careful.

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product.asp?product=21936

These speakers have tweaters built in an are 60W. Should give a bit more vol. The speakers in the T-bar are closer to your head and work well if you have a good set.

It also depends on how much your head unit can kick out.

The speaker pods are worth having in my opinion as they seem to add a bit of base. I fitted Polk momos into the T-bar pods, they are 4x6 and only needed a little trimming to fit. Sound is superb, but they are a bit on the expensive side.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about a set of amplified components in the doors?
That was my plan B. I've already got an Alpine amp in the garage doing nothing so I might just buy a half decent set of comps for the front and amp them up and see how they sound. If they're still not sufficient then I'll just have to look at T bar speakers too.

I may be totally totally off the mark but another speaker active/amplified or not in the front card in my opinion isn`t the way to go...! Especially since you complain about the volume with the hood down, i can imagine the sound should be coming from behind you.
Ideally you should have the sound coming from upfront (you don't go to a gig and stand facing away from the band do you?). Unfortunately with the MGF it's gonna be difficult to do a half decent ICE setup as you're fairly limited in space so amplified components for the front would be preferable to adding any rear speakers however it's obviously more complicated due to amp wiring, crossover wiring etc.

I think I'll order my comps tonight, fingers crossed that the weather stays fine so I'll get them fitted at the weekend.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ideally you should have the sound coming from upfront (you don't go to a gig and stand facing away from the band do you?). Unfortunately with the MGF it's gonna be difficult to do a half decent ICE setup as you're fairly limited in space so amplified components for the front would be preferable to adding any rear speakers however it's obviously more complicated due to amp wiring, crossover wiring etc.
So your relating car audio to hall/gig audio and in theory saying in a car audio setup ideally you would pile all your speakers at the front for optimum sound!?

So is there a reason why each time i have payed a fortune to setup my audio in other cars they have placed the sub in the boot (to resinate the bass throughout the car) the 6x9 on the parcel shelf for bass again at rear, card speakers at the centre for mids and tweeters up at the front for high end.... ?

How can you relate car audio within a confined space to hall audio...i just can`t imagine its nearly the same...

Chris

EDIT just read through this and it sounds quite an angry post, i don`t mean it to be, your teaching me something new here and just totally different to anything I have ever learnt! I also play in a band and understand about the setup and speaker placing we use when playing live....and i can in a way see what you are saying but just can`t see it relate to in-car!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
and to just take it one step further....if you are talking about front speaker being at the front....are they really. The sound waves are actually being thrown across the car, not necessarly at you from front to back.....lol it has got me hooked this one!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,998 Posts
There is of course a school of thought that 6x9 should not be fitted to the rear of any car as they just screw the stereo image from the fount. Subs are different, as the human ear can’t detect where the base is coming from when the brain locks onto the mid and treble sounds. In the F/TF the rear speakers are so close to the ears that they should only be considered as rear fill.

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
Just don't put the sub in the boot, as many people seem to forget, as there is a good 3 foot of engine between it and you :lol:

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,998 Posts
And don't drill into the panel at the back of the seats to mount an amp etc unless you want a car full of petrol (it has been done). :lol:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nice...thanks for the useful tips!

So can i just clarify, are you backing up this theory that fitting another speaker in the door card would enhance the sound over fitting rears ... ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So your relating car audio to hall/gig audio and in theory saying in a car audio setup ideally you would pile all your speakers at the front for optimum sound!?

So is there a reason why each time i have payed a fortune to setup my audio in other cars they have placed the sub in the boot (to resinate the bass throughout the car) the 6x9 on the parcel shelf for bass again at rear, card speakers at the centre for mids and tweeters up at the front for high end.... ?

How can you relate car audio within a confined space to hall audio...i just can`t imagine its nearly the same...

Chris

EDIT just read through this and it sounds quite an angry post, i don`t mean it to be, your teaching me something new here and just totally different to anything I have ever learnt! I also play in a band and understand about the setup and speaker placing we use when playing live....and i can in a way see what you are saying but just can`t see it relate to in-car!!
Don't worry, it doesn't sound angry :)

I've been installing car audio for about 13 years now and have installed literally hundreds of ICE systems ranging from some pretty basic systems to fully active multi amp systems (my brother has about £10k worth of Sinfoni stuff in his car). I've also sat in hundreds of professional SPL and SQ+ cars and learned quite a lot about the world of ICE.

Car interiors aren't the ideal place for audio, you're right there. Glass reflects sound, seats absorb it etc. but the principles are the same as home audio. Ideally you want a decent set of amped components up front and a subwoofer too. The reason for the subwoofer being in the boot in your previous cars is that bass is non directional. Stick a sub anywhere in your car and it won't make a great deal of difference however try sitting off axis from your tweeters and you'll not be able to hear them properly as they're high frequency and therefore directional (hence why you can generally angle most of them).
MGFs pose an even more difficult problem, they have a soft roof so sound can escape and they have practically no space for speakers, amps, subs etc. so we're forced to compromise. We don't really want speakers behind us apart from a small amount of rear fill (ie. fade them right down as you don't want them dragging the soundstage backwards) but as I said, we're going to have to compromise and accept that the best we can hope for is clear sound, covering most of the musical frequencies therefore rear speakers may be our only realistic option for additional sound.
You mentioned earlier about 6x9s and subs which IMO is a terrible solution, ask any car audio expert and they'll tell you the same. I could give you a dozen reasons why this is true however you might be better off searching on www.talkaudio.co.uk as the subject has been covered thousands of times and my fingers are hurting now :)

I hope that might be a quick insight into car audio and might prove useful. If you head over to talkaudio and read some of the FAQ pages it might be helpful when choosing your system. If you want any further help with anything just shout :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
philz.....well i am totally overwhelmed...thank you so much for your informative posts.
Fair play, not 10k worth but i have spent hundreds on ICE in the past and not once has anyone advised anything other than that setup. Infact, on more the one occasion they have actively encourged it..i remember when i first got my car done they were explaining how essential 6x9 are and why they should be mounted on the parcelshelf. INFACT they even setup the fader so that the rear 6x9 were louder than the front!!

Well, now i am totally stuck....please keep me informed with what you do, i may follow suit if you don`t mind!!

Chris

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
The F is a completly different setup to a convential car though, the cabin is smaller and all the engine noise is behind you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
philz.....well i am totally overwhelmed...thank you so much for your informative posts.
Fair play, not 10k worth but i have spent hundreds on ICE in the past and not once has anyone advised anything other than that setup. Infact, on more the one occasion they have actively encourged it..i remember when i first got my car done they were explaining how essential 6x9 are and why they should be mounted on the parcelshelf. INFACT they even setup the fader so that the rear 6x9 were louder than the front!!

Well, now i am totally stuck....please keep me informed with what you do, i may follow suit if you don`t mind!!

Chris
My brother is really into his ICE and his car was more to demonstrate his installation skills (features stuff like a custom fibreglass dash, P9 display mounted in rear view mirror etc.).
You tend to find a lot of car audio shops will gladly recommend 6x9s in the rear as it's more money for them but really it's not a good idea. You'll never see 6x9's installed in any professional SQ car but you'll almost always see them in your average Saxo/Corsa/Chavved up car where volume is more important than quality.
99% of people on Talkaudio will slate 6x9's however I think they do have a purpose, they can add volume if you're not too fussed about sound stage or quality and in a car like an MGF you don't have much choice in the matter!
I've just ordered some Alpine 6.5" component speakers which I'll amp up and see how they sound. Hopefully they'll arrive in time for the weekend so I'll do a quick write up as I install them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts