1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

2001 ROVER 75,
16,000 miles, .
Climate Control, ABS,Alloy wheels, Four airbags,
Central locking, el.everything,CD changer.
Rear damage repaired to high standard. £4,500.

Tel: 07830 113561
Distance: 21 miles
Price: £4,500

For a low mileage car, this would appear to be a good price, but what are the implications of the accident damage long term? Would there be an inusrance problem? What else would I need to know about it?

·
Registered
980 Posts
obvious problem would be the re-sale value.

Insurance complications depend on the category of write off.

Cat D, shouldn't be problematic or particularly costly
Cat C, ensure you ask for the Cat C VIC and maybe enquire about insurance prior to the puchase.

AS regards future problems, this really depends on what was broken and well it was fixed.

I.e, non mechanical, ensure the parts used (panels) are of good quality and painted professionally, if either was skimped upon rusting may become apparent, rather quickly.

Mechanically, this is more difficult to check, because if the chasis was jigged, it may be difficult to tell if it's perfectly straight and if it isn't, a number of problems with tyres and suspension may occur.

regards

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adam said:
obvious problem would be the re-sale value.

Insurance complications depend on the category of write off.

Cat D, shouldn't be problematic or particularly costly
Cat C, ensure you ask for the Cat C VIC and maybe enquire about insurance prior to the puchase.

AS regards future problems, this really depends on what was broken and well it was fixed.

I.e, non mechanical, ensure the parts used (panels) are of good quality and painted professionally, if either was skimped upon rusting may become apparent, rather quickly.

Mechanically, this is more difficult to check, because if the chasis was jigged, it may be difficult to tell if it's perfectly straight and if it isn't, a number of problems with tyres and suspension may occur.

regards
Sounds like it's best I leave it alone and keep saving then. Thanks.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MGZRowner said:
If it has been repaired to a high standard and you are going to keep the car for a while then it would be a good buy as there isn't much more to lose on depreciation.
I agree, that's what I thought but unfortunately I am out of my depth making a judgement on the standard of the repair.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can't you get someone to look at it.

My mate bought an R plate VX Astra 1.6 (approx 1.5yrs ago) for £350 at auction as it was a write-off and spent £400 fixing it himself.

Total cost was £750 and for the money it has been some car. He knows he won't get much when he sells it with it being recorded but the car for it's age is amazing and you wouldn't know it had been accident damaged apart from the fact that it looks far better than any other R plate Astra on the roads.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
Well, the advert says damage repaired, which doesn' t necessarily mean it was written off (an hpi check will tell you). Either way, if the seller has invoices/receipts/reports for the work that would help.

G

·
AndrewPorter said:
For cheap 75s Trade Sales in Slough have ex rental 2003 03 1.8 Club SEs with 12k for £6999 - might be a better bet than a repaired car
But that is £2500 extra - and that is a LOT of money!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.