MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at 75's for a while but the few I have test driven were either a tad dull (the standard 1.8 with the usual coolant issue) or the service history was very inconsistent (how daft do dealers think we are when the service book clearly shows it hasn't been serviced for 50,000 miles?).

So today i'm looking at a T reg, 2.5 v6 Connoisseur with 65k on the clock, a good history, belts just changed and with the sat nav/Tv do-dah gadget.

Ok, I know it's an older model and I know there's likely to be some faults already...but am I about to pay too much? The price is £3250. Have a look at the car itself and tell me if you would pay that.

http://www.car-car.co.uk/75.html

I told myself I wouldn't buy a car as old as this but it does look pretty nice. I'm going to view it today at 1pm.

Thanks

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've been looking at 75's for a while but the few I have test driven were either a tad dull (the standard 1.8 with the usual coolant issue) or the service history was very inconsistent (how daft do dealers think we are when the service book clearly shows it hasn't been serviced for 50,000 miles?).

So today i'm looking at a T reg, 2.5 v6 Connoisseur with 65k on the clock, a good history, belts just changed and with the sat nav/Tv do-dah gadget.

Ok, I know it's an older model and I know there's likely to be some faults already...but am I about to pay too much? The price is £3250. Have a look at the car itself and tell me if you would pay that.

http://www.car-car.co.uk/75.html

I told myself I wouldn't buy a car as old as this but it does look pretty nice. I'm going to view it today at 1pm.

Thanks
That is a well looked after motor breezeblock. If the pictures aren't being to kind to her.

Equipment list is very good and millage is low for her age.

Don't think it's a T plate though (could be a personal job). 99 would be a V or W I think. But I could be wrong on that.

Well go test it then and let us know how you get on.

Good luck and you could try to find something to get them down to £3K
Seeing as they have two merc's in the drive, I am sure they can afford to :broon:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Thats an Ex Engineering car from MG Rover ! Non colour coded reversing sensors are the give away ! There are few "JOP" registrations around on "T" plates.
T was to August 1999, V from August onwards.

Also has a late model gearknob aswell !

·
Registered
922 Posts
Thats an Ex Engineering car from MG Rover ! Non colour coded reversing sensors are the give away ! There are few "JOP" registrations around on "T" plates.
T was to August 1999, V from August onwards.

Also has a late model gearknob aswell !

Cheers Ex,

When I started looking at it I wondered if it had been in MGR hands.
How well it has been looked after made me wonder.

Can't wait to read the report from Breezeblock after he's seen it.

·
Registered
rover_75
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Thats an Ex Engineering car from MG Rover..."

Is that a good or bad thing? I know the earlier models had their problems that were largely rectified at Longbridge (see, I HAVE been doing my homework on this site!).

Is there anything in particular I should check for when I see it?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
If it is an Ex Engineering car it will have been looked after. If it was a Press car it will be a cracker !! They were all stripped down and re built prior to launch. Extra sound proofing put in under the carpets, in the doors, under the bonnet, in the boot, all the seats were hand built at Gaydon by the supplier. Most of them had a load of accessories fitted to them aswell, hence the spec on that one !

The only thing i dont like about that particular car is the wheels !! I always thought they were the worst ones from a "looks" point of view !

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
"Thats an Ex Engineering car from MG Rover..."

Is that a good or bad thing? I know the earlier models had their problems that were largely rectified at Longbridge (see, I HAVE been doing my homework on this site!).

Is there anything in particular I should check for when I see it?
See above !

If it was sold before the company went bust it will be a nice car as all the cars that were sold by the company had all the "reworks" and tweaks done before they were moved on. (Mine was an Ex Engineering car a 99 V plate which i bought in 2002) If it was sold after the company went bust, i would steer clear of it as the receivers sold all sorts of cars that should have been scrap ! Although i do know of one that found its way into a member heres hands and he loves it ! (It is a V8 though!!)

The age of this one says it was probably sold in around 2002/3 when the fleet of 75s was reduced drastically to save some money but i cannot be sure.

As they say "Its entirely up to you and what you think of it if you want to buy it!"

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I didn't know what you meant by ex-engineering. I assume it means it was owned by Rover themselves?
Yes, it was owned by Rover. It has either been used for the Press to test drive or has been worked on in the factory for test purposes.

The vast majority of "T" plate cars were owned by MG Rover. There were not that many sold to customers. I am sure someone will be along who knows exactly how many "T" plate cars were sold through dealer forecourts !

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
If it is an Ex Engineering car it will have been looked after. If it was a Press car it will be a cracker !! They were all stripped down and re built prior to launch. Extra sound proofing put in under the carpets, in the doors, under the bonnet, in the boot, all the seats were hand built at Gaydon by the supplier. Most of them had a load of accessories fitted to them aswell, hence the spec on that one !
Crikey! They gave the 75 a spruce-up just for the press but not for the rest of us. Makes sense. Although Top Gear still didn't like their test car & even requested a second car for their March 1999 issue.

The gear knob looks like it's from a Mk 2 75.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 1st Rover was 400 416 Si 1998 sedan - the great one. 2nd one is 75 1.8i 1999 automat. To this choice I must say ... bad combination of power and fuel consumption, problems with watter (losses in cooling system), and also little problem with autogear box.
The car was totaly out of order, reparations (services) costed me the same money as the car. Car was also robbed at all, some part were missing that time (last year).
Now I´m going to change engine (those watter losses). I bought new (used) engine built 2001 with 42k, which has no problems with watter losses as 1999´s engines. Let´s see later.
After all I must say, that Rover is my favourite car. Or isn´t it? ... Yes, it is. I´m from Slovakia, and thrue that I like british cars.
German cars are very hard, French are very soft, Japanese are very reach, US are ... no comment. British cars are "compromis" between power and comfort.

·
Registered
rover_75
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, been there and seen it. You guys really know your stuff - it was owned by Rover for the first three years.

The mileage is 64,744. The service history is all above board (8 stamps). The belts, inlet manifold and host of other stuff costing £1,300 was done twelve months ago and it was last serviced in March this year. The car is immaculate...everything works and there are only two slight marks on the paintwork and even then I didn't spot them (the dealer had to point them out).

It drove perfectly, no groans, no judders, no screams. Turning was fine, reverse worked well, gearbox was smooth without being sloppy. The sat nav and TV both worked like new. Even the leather seats were still rigid and mark-free. Under the bonnet, eveything is in order - coolant is clear and oil free - the oil itself smelled and looked OK (can you tell I'm not that technical?).

I haggled down to £3000 including the warranty and did a deal. I pick it up later today after the insurance has been sorted.

This dealer is one in a million. He's a retired schoolteacher who was injured a couple of years ago so he just sells good quality cars from his home with his wife. the whole process was bulls.hit free and he even told me that they sold 85 cars last year and five were returned because of minor faults...all of which were sorted at the dealer's expense. There aren't many like this. I went to one in Stockport yesterday who didn't know that when the coolant looks like treacle and smells like a field in Kuwait there is a problem.

Thanks for the info guys, I really do appreciate it.

Here's to many happy years as a Rover 75 owner.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Well done - it is definitely a fine looking car.

It'll be interesting to find out what the last 6 digits of the VIN number are, and that will definitely tell how early the car was in the build run.

I owned 100537, which is pretty early, but wasn't registered until September 2000.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had my '99(V) 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto for a couple of months now, and I love it more every time I can prize the keys away from my wife for long enough to drive it!

Get to drive it all the way to Gatwick & back tomorrow....YAY!!!!

You've made an excellent choice there Sir....That's the best colour too IMO (Mine's Zircon silver-Nearly as nice!)....Enjoy it....One of the few modern cars that feels SPECIAL! ;)

·
Registered
rover_75
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's now proudly sat on my drive. I'm a happy man.

Only one complaint, I filled it up on the way (it was on empty like most dealers keep them). Now it's back I revved it up and it 'pops' a little at high revs. It this a rich mixture of something like that? What do I Do (if anything)?

·
Registered
922 Posts
It's now proudly sat on my drive. I'm a happy man.

Only one complaint, I filled it up on the way (it was on empty like most dealers keep them). Now it's back I revved it up and it 'pops' a little at high revs. It this a rich mixture of something like that? What do I Do (if anything)?
Hey well done BB, welcome to the 75 club. Sounds like, from the posts on here, that you might have something a little special. It certainly looked good from the pix.

I can't answer what the pops are (apart from the usual timing/fuel/plugs stuff), but I am damn sure someone will if you hold on.

Congrats mate and you'll have to post some more pix of it on here please.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts