MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first post, and am glad to see such a busy and large forum devoted to Rovers and MG etc.

I am a little nervous about buying a Rover, as they are no more on these shores.

However, I have come across a 55 plate, 75, 1.8T Conn SE, for £9000.
Its 1 owner, being sold by a former Rover Employee, mileage less tnan 10K.

It has extras such as a SAT NAV, ontop of the smartnav, 17" alloys, and even a spare wheel alloy. ( Doesnt have the rear parking sensors... although apparently as the company was in administration, they never got added? )
Has the usual leather etc etc.

I am thinking, there is no way i could get all that luxury for that price, and that low mileage.

Anything i should look for, when purchasing it?

Also, maybe i'll leave it more another post, i commute about 20,000 miles / year, so may want to add a LPG conversion, any recommendations?

Sorry for the waffly post, its late and am tired.

Thanks in advance
Av

OH, and almost forgot, where should i buy the warranty from?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
At that age and mileage, you shouldn't have anything to worry about other than the usual V5/Vin checks. You could check there are no water leaks in the boot, all the doors open fine (they can seize up through lack of use) and all the toys work as they should. Check it has two keys, and if not, haggle at least £100 off for a new one. The 4 cylinder K series can be suseptable to head gasket failure so check oil and water levels are good and clear, although it would be very rare for a late plate, low mileage car to suffer.

I'm not sure the lack of parking sensors is due to MGR going into admin, my 03 1.8T Conn SE doesn't have the CD changer it should. Seems a few cars were oddly specced over the years.

If you get it, check that the bulkhead/plenum drain holes are clear as they can block easily and drown the ECU

I'm afraid I don't know about LPG conversions. I've looked at warranties myself but haven't bought yet, warrantywise and warranty direct are the two biggies, warranty direct seem to have the edge as they cover wear and tear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Go ahead buy one.

I have just bought a Jan 05 reg ZT 160+ so its the same engine. The Rover interior is nicer in my opinion. The 1.8 turbo has plenty of go in it and the higher profile tyres on the Rover give less noise on rough road surfaces than the ones on the MG.

I only got the MG version because I am into MG's. My other car is an MGB. So when the B is in bits in my garage I can take the ZT to MG Car Club event instead.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
pop the bonnent and look down at the right side or the rad (passenger side ) if you see this wad of hoses and plastic "bucket" you have the revised coolant system and this greatly reduces hg failure, if it doesnt have this it might be prudant to fit this
yours will have a ubdertray on mine was off in the pic i dont know when this was introduced on the zt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Well there's something I didn't know - I didn't know they revised the cooling system on the 75/ZT!

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
SteveChilds said:
Well there's something I didn't know - I didn't know they revised the cooling system on the 75/ZT!
trust me it came a bigger shock to me lol i was thre minding my own buiss changing tray and saw it couldnt beleive my eyes so i had to take a pic lol

·
Registered
179 Posts
Go for it. I've had the same spec car for just about a year now and love it.
Previously I had Jag x type 2.5 (had two in a row) and the Rover is better.

Points to note - as in other threads the fuel filter works loose between 6 months and 3 years old. Easy fix - follow the thread instructions. Cost is zero.

Also lack of pull at low speeds (1st & 2nd gear) - yep its true, but above this it does fly. Mainly due to being a lot of car to pull away.

Well spec'd and a bargain, as said - I love it.:bgrin2:

cheers

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not had any problems from mine either, just the cooling fan but that wasn´t due to anything but lots of ice holding it fast then freezing solid..The 1.8t is a fast car once you get it going, had 230kmh out of her on a straight run down the motorway, will keep up with most things...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought one myself last week for about the same price with 5000 miles on the clock. Bit of a bargain really.

I've noticed some vibration on the motorway - and it seems the rubber links damping the catalyst to the chassis were missing mid way down the car - so have had these put back and the wheels balanced and its fine now.

Although I have to say I've put up with lots of slipper and hat jokes over the last week ;-0

N

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
chilljohn said:
pop the bonnent and look down at the right side or the rad (passenger side ) if you see this wad of hoses and plastic "bucket" you have the revised coolant system and this greatly reduces hg failure, if it doesnt have this it might be prudant to fit this
yours will have a ubdertray on mine was off in the pic i dont know when this was introduced on the zt
What age is the car that the photo was taken, is that a 1.8?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Lord Minty said:
My 75 has that bit of plumbing too. It's a Dec 2004 54-reg facelift.
£10 say's mine hasn't (2003) She's locked in the garage and its too late to disturb her. :err:

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
Ken75 said:
£10 say's mine hasn't (2003) She's locked in the garage and its too late to disturb her. :err:
Make that £10 the set of door handle finishers to be raffled and I'll take you up on the bet ;)

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
disclamer

i hold no resposiblity for money changing hands over the pic i took

lol o well long as everyone check and does the coolant check at the same time thats all that matters

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Lord Minty said:
Make that £10 the set of door handle finishers to be raffled and I'll take you up on the bet ;)
I only bet on sure things like horse racing, dogs and rain drops on a window pane. :lol:

As mine is 2003 the chances of it having the extra plumbing will be a snowballs in hells chance.

Ken

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
chilljohn said:
disclamer

i hold no resposiblity for money changing hands over the pic i took

lol o well long as everyone check and does the coolant check at the same time thats all that matters
Money changing hands? There's more chance of me becoming Archbishop of Canterbury and living on the moon with Amelia earhart. :dunno:

Ken

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ken75 said:
I only bet on sure things like horse racing, dogs and rain drops on a window pane. :lol:

As mine is 2003 the chances of it having the extra plumbing will be a snowballs in hells chance.

Ken
Got 1.8t LHD 2003 and mine has it....

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Ken75 said:
Ok I would have lost my bet as she has got the added plumbing, bless her :)

Ken

1 - 20 of 20 Posts