MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been having a nightmare with my 214is recently, tried fitting a new exhaust, but one of the bolts holding the front pipe on won't budge, in the end fitted the cat, center section and back box and will have to take it to a garage to see if they can remove the bolt! now this is my main problem, i need a new battery as it ran dry in one section and now won't hold a charge. tryed to start it up, and all i got was the click, click, click. i had a portable jump starter in the the back, conected it to the + & -, got back in, went to start her then noticed the immobiliser was armed. no problem, pressed the fob... nothing, re-synced the fob... nothing. so i came home to get the eka. looking though the owners manual i found this:

emergency starting: DO NOT connect the booster cable to the negative (-) terminal of the discharged battery!
****! thats exactly what i did! would i have damaged something? could this be why the fob suddenly stopped working? im gonna bring my spare fobs with me (i have 3 of them lol) and my eka to see if i can get it to fire up. just really worried that i may have damaged something!

sorry for the long post, advice would be greatly apercated!!!!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
If the battery gets really flat, you need to do a sort of reset.

Completely disconnect the battery, have a brew, then re-connect battery and booster.

Then re-sync (4 or 5 rapid presses of the lock button). Should be ok after that

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You may also find that the battery will be knackered. It may hold a bit of charge, but lead acid batteries don't like being deep cycled, so might be worth getting a replacement.:)

Rich.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all your help guys, i knew the battery was shagged anyway cos it had leaked from one of the center cell and was dry. Bought an exide ultra 063 battery from motor world, replaced the old one and bob's you uncle, fannys your aunt working again! resynced all 4 fobs and so far so good its been sweet as!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts