MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm not exactly a car expert, and infact i cant actually drive. But my dad has usually bought Rover's and with 'Great' Britain being the fourth largest economy in the world I find it frightening and heartbreaking we have no car manufacturer left.

As part of a university project to do with town planning i did a study of Longbridge, and made this short film for a presentation, including promotional adverts and images from the press following MG Rover's recent demise. Make sure you wait for a couple of minutes once you've clicked on it to avoid stuttering!
http://www.youtube.com/results?search=longbridge&search_type=search_videos
Thanks,
Tim.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Blimey!!!!

Very moving - love the choice of sound track too.

Nice short movie - and summary of the Motor Industry. No happy ending though :(

At least you didn't cut the music to Bright Eyes as MGR died (Bambie Style0

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Excelent, but as it appears to be about MGR, maybe it should have been 1896 - 2005 not 2006?

I will look forward to the next episode, when its reborn next March...

·
Registered
323 Posts
At risk of sounding like a total ********, sentiment good. Film terrible, but at least kept the basic idea of rostrum camera alive. Not so much a film as a selection of photographs and a kitsch soundtrack.

Anyway, that's any friends I have on here lost.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Windy said:
Excelent, but as it appears to be about MGR, maybe it should have been 1896 - 2005 not 2006?.
MG Rover Ltd still in existence, though in administration, so 2006 not inaccurate perhaps? ;)

·
Registered
rover_800
11,775 Posts
gooseman said:
At risk of sounding like a total ********, sentiment good. Film terrible, but at least kept the basic idea of rostrum camera alive. Not so much a film as a selection of photographs and a kitsch soundtrack.

Anyway, that's any friends I have on here lost.

and you could do better i suppose... NOT

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Cheer up. It's not really the death of the British Motor Industry is it? It's the death of Longbridge, and a few brand names, and the change of ownership of some of the assets. It's the death of those last bits of BL that hadn't been sold off, which isn't much.

There's still cause for optimism.

The old Rover plant is alive and in very good health turning out Range Rovers. Jaguar are still alive and well, after a shaky period. The old Morris plant is struggling to keep up with demand for the Minis they are making, and there are numerous bits of BMC/BMH/BL/AR that still exist in other hands.

And all the Japanese transplant factories (Toyota, Honda and Nissan) did wonders for the domestic industry in convincing the world that British made cars could be reliable and well built, after our domestic firms shattered our reputation for quality.

And who knows maybe Nanjing will come good and Longbridge will actually make cars again.

Some might say that those factories are not British, but it's nitpicking: they build cars here and emply people here. By that score Rover wasn't wholly British either from the day it got into bed with Honda to the day BMW sold it. After all no Rover car since the SD1 died is without significant foreign input (and none since the P5 if you count the Rover V8 engine as American)(leaving aside the Metro which is really an Austin)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"At risk of sounding like a total ********, sentiment good. Film terrible, but at least kept the basic idea of rostrum camera alive. Not so much a film as a selection of photographs and a kitsch soundtrack."

Hehe, i think ur right! sorry about the amateurish quality, but it was cobbled together in 2 hours and they haven't given us the grades yet!

Yeh i realised when i'd finished it should've been 2005, not 2006. And to come back on the point made that GB car industry is still alive with Jag, Nissan, honda etc. obviously this is correct, but all the other major countries in the world are home to at least one major manufacturer, and I just think its a sorry state to be in, having to rely on investment from foreign companies for us to put a car together and not produce our own.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
People who have mentioned about jag and land rover etc. Ok there built in britain but there owned by Ford which is american, so there isn't really any British owned and British built cars any more.

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Go

Nothings the same as MGR though.

It's not just British ownership it's also the cars.

All had their unique charchater

Every single new MG Rover made never looked ugly. One can easily look at fiat, citroen, bmw, audi etc and find an ugly car, but when we look at what was coming out of Longbridge; there was not one single ugly car.

Each had "pure" driving expirence which I personally think is one of the most important factors about a car. I hate over engineered "boxes", constantely beeping at you and computers which make up their minds about the steering, not yourself personally.

Also the fact that so much was done using such little money. Makes me kind of proud.
________
Na50

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
I think the sv-r looks absolutely fantastic. The cityrover are ugly hideous little things. Yes i know there not actually Rovers underneath but they where still sold as rovers with a Rover badge.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts