MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got data for MGR sales since PVH took over, or even since BAe were in charge?

I'd like to see a graph of MGR sales (probably units or % of the UK market, by quarter) with the timing of unfavourable (read Grauniad etc) articles marked on it. Obviously we also need dates for those influential articles/scandals.
I can't think of any plainer way of showing how media interference has got out of hand.

I'd be very grateful for any data.

The other thing that really interests me is if without the effect of the negative media MGR could have maintained enough sales to survive until the launch of any new product. With new aluminium sportcars rumoured to be only a few months away from production, it is a very real possibility that bad press has dealt a lethal blow at a minute to midnight.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
gnnw196 said:
Has anyone got data for MGR sales since PVH took over, or even since BAe were in charge?

I'd like to see a graph of MGR sales (probably units or % of the UK market, by quarter) with the timing of unfavourable (read Grauniad etc) articles marked on it. Obviously we also need dates for those influential articles/scandals.
I can't think of any plainer way of showing how media interference has got out of hand.

I'd be very grateful for any data.

The other thing that really interests me is if without the effect of the negative media MGR could have maintained enough sales to survive until the launch of any new product. With new aluminium sportcars rumoured to be only a few months away from production, it is a very real possibility that bad press has dealt a lethal blow at a minute to midnight.
If you visit www.smmt.co.uk, all the data will be available there in due course, April sales figures will be in sometime around the 6th or 7th of May, with production figures towards the end of May. Here's Marchs figures

MG 5,937 (5,810) Up 1.24% On 2004
Rover 6,608 (9,247) Down 28.54% On 2004

There's also 15 commercial vehicles to add on, 9 MG Express and 6 Rover Commerce, down 50% and 60% respectively.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Nick.

I knew about the SMMT, but I couldn't find all of the data condensed down into one document.

I've tried Keith (that ARG guy), as he seemed most likely to have a spreadsheet or know where to find all of the data. No response yet though.

·
Registered
881 Posts
It would be unfair (IMO) to go back before 2000 and consider MGR as 'the only remainder of BL/Rover Group.' Clearly MGR did not have the sales from Land-Rover or MINI, yet those companies are just as much successors of Rover Group as MGR is.

Equally, going back to Leyland you would have to include Jaguar too.
Now a graph including all those companies, up to the present day, would be OK, but it would be very, very unfair to say "oh, BL had a 25% market share in 1984 and now MGR's is just 2.9%."

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
That's really tactless isn't it - considering there are a large number of upset enthusiasts and workers on this site. Do you have no scruples?

You really should be ashamed of yourself, publishing that on this site. My advice to you would be to delete it, before you upset any other people.

:cus:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts