MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I'VE JUST GOT A NAVY BLUE TF160, ITS MY DREAM CAR AND I'M CHUFFED TO BITS!

JUST WONDERED IF ANYONE COULD ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ?

1. WHEN PUTTING THE HOOD DOWN IS IT BEST TO FOLLOW THE MANUALS INSTRUCTIONS AND UNZIP THE REAR WINDOW AND LAY IT DOWN FLAT, OR COULD I USE A LENGTH OF FOAM PIPE INSULATION COVERED WITH CLOTH AND JUST FOLD THE HOOD DOWN WITH THE WINDOW INTACT ?

2. I'M AFTER A HARD TOP FOR MY NAVY BLUE TF,
I THINK I'LL STRUGGLE TO GET A NAVY COLORED ONE SECOND HAND, SO I WAS GOING FOR THE BLACK ONE.
DOES ANYONE THINK A SILVER HOOD WILL GO WITH THE DARK NAVY BODY ?
OR ARE THERE ANY OTHER COMBINATIONS I COULD CONSIDER ?
WITHOUT A HOOD TO TRY, I CAN'T REALLY PICTURE IT !

3. MY REAR VIEW MIRROR HAS A BIT OF PLAY IN IT AND VIBRATES BADLY, IT MAKES A BIT OF NOISE( i know its usual for vibrations and knocking/noise etc in the mgf/tf's), BUT IT DISTORTS MY VISION COMPLETLEY......ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

THANKS AND I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM SOMEONE SOON

JUSTIN

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
1. some people do some people don't unzip im the few which don't and havn't had a problem yet, i do suggest tho on cold days where the rear screen is more brittle u unzip it =) otherwise crack! hehe if it's a hot day i don't worry about it! =)

the tube thigy works.

2. hardtops are expensive what i did was buy a cheap off ebay 500 pounds then reprey it for a further 50 £550, beter then spending £1200 and cus of the resprey it looks brand new!

3. get it looked at! shouildn't do tht! =S hehe

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,286 Posts
justinlfc said:
HI,

3. MY REAR VIEW MIRROR HAS A BIT OF PLAY IN IT AND VIBRATES BADLY, IT MAKES A BIT OF NOISE( i know its usual for vibrations and knocking/noise etc in the mgf/tf's), BUT IT DISTORTS MY VISION COMPLETLEY......ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

THANKS AND I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM SOMEONE SOON

JUSTIN
Same with mine, this weekend’s task is to try and remove the mirror from the screen before it drops off and then try re-attaching it with some new adhesive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as the rear view mirror is concerned,

Its attached to the window well enough, but there is movement from the body of the mirror itself and not the attachment.

still will call garage and see what they say,

Thankyou

·
Registered
434 Posts
justinlfc said:
Hi,
I heard that re-spraying hard tops wasn't a good idea, Is it ok ?
Lot's of peeps on here have had re-sprays. As long as it's done properly it will be as intended. A hard top is made of fibreglass so has to be painted anyway.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
1. Up to you. The manual was changed for the TF, F manuals state that the rear screen should be unzipped if the hood is to be left down for long periods. As far as i am aware there are no changes between the two rear screens / hoods that would justify this change in tack, only warrantee claims for cracked rear screens!

Check out the MGF FAQ hood tips here:

>> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dotcomoff/home/motoring/mgf_faq/gen/car_care/hood/hood_tips.html <<

The tube idea has been done and works very well. Some people use some large pipe lagging round a tube, but you need to be aware of it, if you raise the hood quickly (i.e. from the driver's seat) it will fly out the back of the car! :lol:

2. Hard tops can be resprayed quite easily - the tricky part is to get them to match the paintwork that is already on your car.

3. Rear view mirror is fitted to the windscreen on a spline - it may be that the mirror isn't pushed firmly enough onto the spline (reach over the mirror and press the base down the windscreen to push it further ont the spline), or it may be that the spline itself has come loose (warrantee job).

Welcome to the forum and CAPS is considered shouting (just a 'nettiquette' thing). :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts