MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well some of you know that i have broken a bone in my foot three weeks ago and haven't been able to drive. So i have put that time to good use and done a couple of small modifications.

The first one was the rear badges - i never liked the grey plastic badges and thought they were cheap and nasty (see below)

So off came the old badges - they just pulled off so easy i could not believe. A quick rub with T-Cut to remove the sticky stuff and the polish and then on with the new badges.

The new badges are all chrome and come from 3 different cars but i think they look OK! The CDTi badge is from a Rover 75, The 160 Badge is from a ZR and the ZT badge is from a Mk2 ZT-T (I chopped off the -T)

Then i finally got around to getting Tom Tom mobile working on my phone. I have to say it's as good as a full size one and, as i use a full Nokia car kit, it even mutes the radio to give my the voice commands.

So all in all I am very happy and even better my plastercast comes off tomorrow so I can go and drive the ZT again at last!!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
You'll need to retake your test - new law that came in recently - about 3months ago I think.

I need a new boot lid Rover badge.

Tried some T cutting today. I soon got bored after one door!

Anyone got an electric polisher - are they any good?

Ron

PS
Rich, I have returned the boost to normal, having removed the spring to make the testing more representative on wednesday's dyno runs.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hi Ron, Rich,

Rich Nice mods, not too sure about the ZT part, but guess it works ok.

Ron, detailing world website will help you out, you need to try and get hold of a PC (Porter Cable 7424) availbale for about £140 inc transformer from the states.

It can turn this

and this

into this

and this

Then they are worth every penny, especially on dark cars like yours, mine and Richs..

Did you see my thread about the wierd sucking noise i've been getting since the intake mod!?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Ti Rich said:
OK Ron, good luck on the Dyno. I'll eat my hat if it dosn't do 150!

I'm hoping for 150 and 250lbs ft.

It doesn't even feel stressed flat out in third.

BMW obviously intended it to produce from 136 to 163 when they designed it.
There's no doubt that 116ps is a major detune and 131ps is not much better and this was done for 'marketing / political 'reasons.

Ron

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I wish it was, but its not, its black....

Take this MR2

use the PC and get these results

less than two hours later!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i'm going to be doing my ZT in a few weeks. I'll do a 'how to' thread on what equipment to get, where from and what add ons etc, etc

The rest is easy, plug it in, and let it rip. It also wont burn through the paint like some machine polishers, but like all things, its worth to aire on the side of caution which is what the guy with the golf is doing in the last pic, hes just resting the PC on the car and letting its natural weight do the polishing.

Nice thing about the PC is that it oscillates rather than rotates.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
MGOracle said:
i'm going to be doing my ZT in a few weeks. I'll do a 'how to' thread on what equipment to get, where from and what add ons etc, etc

The rest is easy, plug it in, and let it rip. It also wont burn through the paint like some machine polishers, but like all things, its worth to aire on the side of caution which is what the guy with the golf is doing in the last pic, hes ust resting the PC on the car and letting its natural weight do the polishing.

Nice thing about the PC is that it oscillates rather than rotates.
You do realise we will all be queuing up outside your house for a go :)

MM

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If this thread had poped up two weeks ago I would have bought the ZT in 'half and half before and after state' to Beaulieu, and let you all have a go!!!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Its just a random orbital polisher (but a half decent variable one). If you have acesss to a compressor you can get a much better air one. You should only ever use its natural weight, not even that if you can help it. You also need to keep it moving to make sure you dont get the area to hot which will cause bloom. Make sure you get some de blooming pads as well.

You can get just as good a result with elbow grease and some decent microfibre cloths. Its just as much down to the polish you use as well. The trade meguiars stuff is the best.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MGOracle said:
Hi Ron, Rich,
not too sure about the ZT part, but guess it works ok.
Yes, I wanted a smaller ZT badge in Chrome but they never did one from what I can see.

·
Registered
rover_75
462 Posts
Rover_ron said:
You'll need to retake your test - new law that came in recently - about 3months ago I think.
Eh? What do you mean by that? Or are you just taking the mickey our of poor TiRich?

Pete

·
Registered
251 Posts
MGOracle said:
Heres one more of a friend doing it as he went along

These things are awesome, and well worth the money
My God!!!
I have a black one (sorry about the pun) and it never looked that good even when it was NEW!
On the same vein, I was thinking about getting mine done with Diamondbrite. Has anyone had theirs done ?

·
Registered
399 Posts
aga said:
My God!!!
I have a black one (sorry about the pun) and it never looked that good even when it was NEW!
On the same vein, I was thinking about getting mine done with Diamondbrite. Has anyone had theirs done ?
I have. Only been on a month so far, so this isn't a long term report, but it certainly seems to be doing the job so far! Just a little wash over and dry with a shammy, and it comes up looking perfect! :D I am delighted with it!

Just one point. If you have the upholstery and carpets done as well as the bodywork, there will probably be various whispy white fibres left in the car. I went nuts trying to find the spiders before I realised what it was!

·
Registered
mg_tf
2,364 Posts
I will be travelling back from scotland the day before the meet so do not think i will have a chance to clean the car .If I come along with it as is, will give you the chance to give a demo with your polisher lol.But seriously is it hard to pick up the knack of using one of these polishers as I have some light scratches I would love to be rid of.also I recently had the bonnet painted and now in the sunlight you can see the railway lines the painter has left when he polished it .So I thought well if he cannot get it right I better leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
MGOracle said:
Heres one more of a friend doing it as he went along

These things are awesome, and well worth the money
Im curious, how do you get a perfectly straight line with an orbital polisher? Am i missing something about how it works?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think I need to spend some pennies. That's an incredible finish. A quick Google certainly seems to show plenty of recommendations, especially from other motoring forums

1 - 20 of 23 Posts