MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone heard this term before. I never come across it on here but it came up stack loads on the CTR forum. Spoon exhaust with bung, this that and the other exhaust for sale with bung. Thought id see if its just a civic term plus i know a few of the guys are a good help in here ;)

I worked it out that this is a thing to make the exhaust a bit quieter and can be removed for track days etc or put on for long journeys.

So question is: are they usually hard to fit/take off. I know exhausts are not hard to fit/ take off so not meaning it in that sense, but can they be whacked off before a journey if you have the right spanenr or are they more hassle than worth. 2min job?

wont they make the car lose power. I know that when i had moto x bikes we had to pack the exhaust to make them quieter when not at the track and they lost considerable power because of this restriction.

·
Registered
714 Posts
They usually come with the exhasut! Theyre made from the same metal and fit very snugly into the tail pipe and usually held on with a small bolt and nut! They fill the entire last part of the tail pipe and reduce it to prob about 2" maybe a lil more dependant on the size of the piping for that specific zaust! My GReddy Evo II zaust was 2.5" all the way thry but had a 5" exit, that came with a bung which i never used, but reduced it down to 2.6" so quietened it off nicely if you didnt want the rasp too loud! I always felt that it restricted the free flow'ness of the zaust tho, why it was bought in the 1st place! The GReddy was on my JDM Del Sol and that was fed by a B18 Teg Type R engine that revved to 11k! It was never TOO noisey as theyre designed to quieten down when travelling steady and fast but are really nice and raspy when revving hard etc... It all depends on what system you get for your CTR really! Any system like GReddy, BuddyClub, Skunk2, Tanabe, Mugen etc will all be raspy at revs but nice and low at steady speeds! If you get a custom system made it wont be as quiet! Not specifically designed for that car!!! Hope this helps :D

If youre looking for a new system, look at funkypower, tokyo express, Hond-R etc.. Google them all for websites :D

Pic - Bung is in the middle - Looks like a wee trumpet lol ;)

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
What dan_b said :)

You'll find a lot of people actually use the bung for track days. Some tracks have noise regulations to follow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts